Flushing outboard water cooling?

Is there an easy way to flush the water cooling system on an outboard... I have a Honda 40 hp...

I changed the impeller on my water pump and didn't gain much flow back so I'm thinking that some of the old broken impeller is causing blockage somewhere... It was pretty beat up...

Can I jimmy rig a hose to the water exit hose and flush backwards with the filter plates off of the lower unit...?

Or compressed air?

Or any other way?

Thanks

Mike

Compressed air might work, but it sounds like you've got an expensive problem on your hands if there are pieces of busted off impeller in your motor causing poor water flow.

Have you checked the PSI of the system after you replaced the impeller? Is it close to stock?

On the same side as the oil fill and drain, there should be another screw up a little higher used for flushing with clean water, my Honda 25 has it.

I have the 2 filter plates on the sides of the lower unit... And one small filter plate under my cavitation plates... Are one of these what your talking about? Do you have a picture?

And bill I have no gauges on my motor...so I don't know my pressure... But I'm thinking if a piece did flow into something... It may flow backwards.... I'm hoping anyways...

I still have decent flow... Just not the normal "jet" of water...

When you remove the old impeller, ALWAYS piece it together, any missing pieces will be in the motor somewhere and need to be removed befor going out again or you may run into a major (read: expensive) problem with a potential overheat. You may need to start taking it apart. Check on iboats.com, you should be able to get some help there.

I have the 2 filter plates on the sides of the lower unit... And one small filter plate under my cavitation plates... Are one of these what your talking about? Do you have a picture?

I still have decent flow... Just not the normal "jet" of water...

No, not the screens. Standing behind the motor, left side above the cavitation plate, there should be 2 screws, the front one is for lower unit oil overflow when filling. The rear screw should be right above the left side screen and should say "wash port" or something similar. Sorry can't get a photo, my boats up at the campsite.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2005/BF40A5%20LHA%20/GEAR%20CASE%20ASSY./parts.html

Edited by Fisherman

No, not the screens. Standing behind the motor, left side above the cavitation plate, there should be 2 screws, the front one is for lower unit oil overflow when filling. The rear screw should be right above the left side screen and should say "wash port" or something similar. Sorry can't get a photo, my boats up at the campsite.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2005/BF40A5%20LHA%20/GEAR%20CASE%20ASSY./parts.html

Thanks... I'll take a look...

I really appreciate it...

Well I decided to take a better look... I romped the hose from the water jacket... Pocked a wire in...

Turns out it was a gob of grease from mechanics when I had all that work done....

She's spraying like a drunk on Saturday night....

Sweet.......I love when it does that......oppsssssss......I guess "your" still talking about your outboard.... :dunno:

Well I decided to take a better look... I romped the hose from the water jacket... Pocked a wire in...

Turns out it was a gob of grease from mechanics when I had all that work done....

Hmmm, wonder if they were hoping for some more repairs to make a return call and bigger bill...