Benoir, Elephant or Baptiste for fishing

mirogak

Hey gang,

Long time no chat - hope you're all enjoying the unseasonably warm start to our official summer.

I am renting a cottage on Benoir Lake which is on the southernmost tip of Algonquin Park, it goes without saying that I'll be taking day trips into the park but I will also be taking my boat to fish the lake system there.

Wondering if you guys have had any experiences with Benoir, Elephant or the Baptiste lake system. I am aiming for Walleye and bass fishing.

Also, anybody familiar with that part of the park at all? You can PM if you like.

Thanks,

Miro

Elephant is probably your best bet. Pike and bass are plentiful. Walleye are a little harder to come by. Muskie fishing used to be good but the numbers have dwindled since pike were introduced.

I haven't had a lot of luck fishing Benior, but I haven't tried it as much as Baptiste or Elephant.

I also recommend a trip up the York River into Algonquin; more for the scenery than the fishing.

I've found the best pickeral fishing up there in the narrows between benoir and elephant.

Tons of pike.

Bass aren't as plentiful, or big, as they used to be.

Musky are spotty, but usually good size these days.

Fish the cabbage weed beds in the middle of the lake on elepahant with a white spinnerbait, and you'll catch all types of fish. Hit the narrows on your way back in the evening for a few eyes.

Good luck!

S.

Good pointers .. thanks gents. Looks like the narrows between Benoir and Elephant are the place so far. I remember when I was on this lake a few years back, I had some good pike action near where the Benoir is fed from the park. But pike isn't really what I am after.

York River, I shall check out for sure. I heard the High Falls is something to checkout as well.

I spend more time fishing trout in that area. There are tons of options within a half hour drive. Any species.

S.

You know what Sinker, I've researched some really good small trout lakes nearby (especially to the east), so you think they are worth my time there?

Edited by letsgofishing

I've fished Benoir and Elephant before, beautiful area. If I recall, Benoir has three basins with narrows between each. There are weedbeds leading into these narrows, try those weed edges for walleye. The south end of the lake has a nice bed that held some eyes as well. I remember tossing cranks to these edges as well as slip floating leeches and getting into a few eyes.

I didn't find the walleye in Elephant but did get some largies working the weedbeds (I recall most of the lake shallow and weedy). Smallies where caught in the north end where the rock channel lies. This was back when there were no pike in there. The narrows between Elephant and Benoir hosts a lot of cover to work for largies as well (used to be the case). Goodluck!

You know what Sinker, I've researched some really good small trout lakes nearby (especially to the east), so you think they are worth my time there?

Yup. I like the stocked rainbow lakes. Usually easy access, and great fishing. I get mine in the top 10ft of water all year round, over deep water. Usually, at first light, they are up top feeding on the surface. I usually get them with cricket hoppers, or trolling a small gang troll with a wet fly about 18" behind. No weight. A small worm harness with half a worm will get them most of the time too.

Specks can be hit and miss right now, but they are always worth the adventure. Fish them real early, or just at dusk...unless its an over cast, or windy day, I find them hard to get once they are out of the shallows.

Lakers should be in the top 20-40fow if your trolling. You can also do well jigging. I catch lots flatlining rapala tail dancers. I forget the number, but they run 15ft deep. I usually run them back 30ft off the cannonball, down 10-30ft.

S.