Nipigon River and area August 22 - 28

Dozer

Hey gang, hope you all are having a great summer.

I posted earlier this year about a trip to the east coast and a couple of suggestions were made to ditch the east coast idea and try out some Ontario fishing. So my friends and I have decided to hit the Nipigon River late August :D Which we are all super pumped about.

We have been doing some research here and there, having a day off today I figured I'll spend a few hours doing as much reading as I can, and damn, so far what I've seen off google, I cannot wait for August to come.

What I am asking here is if anyone has any tips, places to start, scenic places to check out ( non fishing ). We have access to a boat which we will be hauling up with us ( looking for safer places to boat, no dare devil stunts here ) so any tips on where to go are welcome.

Our main focus would be brook trout, and other trout/salmon species if they are runnng during that time. We may take a break and do some walleye fishing for a day.

We are open to suggestions, your experience will help us out and if you're in the area, we will gladly have you aboard for a day of fishing.

Report coming, 100%.

Flat and straight for the most part and easy to pass. If you get stuck behind a slow vehicle on 17 OUCH

Yep, another plus for the less scenic route.

However if you've never driven the 17 it's worth doing at least once, as I did.

Though the rain and fog made the views less than spectacular on my trip. :(

If you wanna save fuel, you take the Sultan Rd and cut over an hour (and 100kms) off your trip.. You also miss most of the really hilly section out of the Sault on 17.

Although it's interesting pulling a 5th wheel + boat.

Suggestion... take one route there and the other home. Set cruise control...

Bill is totally right about the 17, some parts of it are much more scenic... worth the drive at least once. Kinda want to do a return trip that way some year but a buddy in Mattice keeps me stopping in for an overnight visit along the 11.

M&S though is dead on too... driving the 11 there have been times I might see another vehicle every 100kms, and passing from about New Liskeard to Beardmore, well, you could at times in some areas just drive on the wrong side of the road for hours on end. Midweek driving, taking 17 once, the drive was 21 hours from Ottawa. Last year on the 11 tok 18 hours. Yes, fuel consumption is less as there are far less hills and lesser traffic to pass.

Good thing about 11 is you can see any wildlife 4 km away and have your camera out and ready by the time you get to them!

MP3 player or better yet a digital book is ideal, it will make the time go by faster.

Sultans road is a great shortcut but make sure you have lots of gas and in bad weather in the summer the road can get those "oh fun" washboard effect!

Darren