Fly Fishing Question

nroadrunner

Hey Guys after reading all the great posts about fly fishing I have decided to blow the dust off my fly rod. It has been about 10-12 years since its seen the light of day and the line is in need of replacement. Set up was purchased second hand when I was 16 came with abu garcia rod 9 ft eagle claw reel ,line, tippets, and about 80 flies. The lack of trout water made me put it away, however seeing the posts reminded me how much fun catching anything on a fly rod is.:blahblah1:

SO after my long winded explanation I am looking to buy a line. Targeting mostly trout less than 4 lbs, smallmouth and panfish.

Lines I am consdidering

Cortland 333Pro Trout Floating WF fly line

Rio Gold High Performance Trout Fly Line

Scientific Angler Mastery Headstart

Opinions on these and other line welcome.

Hopefully I will posting so Fly fishing catches soon

Thanks in advance

Ian

I have used the SA mastery headstart line in the past (it was actually the first line I used when I first started fly fishing over 10yrs ago). It’s a great line that is extremely easy to cast. I think the newer Headstart lines have a bump on the line to tell you how much line to aerialize before shooting the rest. The short head will turn over just about any fly. With that said, if you’re looking to fish bigger rivers where long distance mending is necessary (nymphing), you probably will find the short head length to be limiting – You may be better served with the SA GPX, Nymph or steelhead line for those purposes. For $35 the headstart offers great value IMO.

On all but one of my fly rods I run rio they make a great fly line it casts nice and loads fast. SA make good lines as well you really can't go wrong with both of those but myself I like rio more. What weight line are you looking to get because another line you could look at is the rio trout LT it only goes up to 6 wt but I run it on my 3 and 4 wts and the color of the line isn't as bright as other lines. Hope that helps

Andrew

I just put RIO Gold trout weight forward on my 5wt this year and really like the way it loads on my rod. That said my previous flyline came with my first fly fishing combo and was pretty cheap so I am not surprised. They say you often get what you pay for with fly lines. Your list appears to be all reputable so it will likely come down to preference.

SA and Rio probably make a the best lines out there - I use the Rio Mainstream lines for my bass setups as they're cheap and cast big flies well, they do trout and other applications too - probably very similar to the SA Headstart.

One of the best allrounders IMO has already been mentioned, the SA GPX - half a weight heavier so loads the rod better but a little more delicate than the shorter bodied beginner stuff, if you can afford a Rio Gold and want a do it all line - I'd go with the GPX.

SA and Rio probably make a the best lines out there - I use the Rio Mainstream lines for my bass setups as they're cheap and cast big flies well, they do trout and other applications too - probably very similar to the SA Headstart.

One of the best allrounders IMO has already been mentioned, the SA GPX - half a weight heavier so loads the rod better but a little more delicate than the shorter bodied beginner stuff, if you can afford a Rio Gold and want a do it all line - I'd go with the GPX.

Well I'll be damned,never new there was that much difference,maybe have to change line down the road.

Well I'll be damned,never new there was that much difference,maybe have to change line down the road.

It's like a worm rod, dropshot rod, crankbait rod etc etc - they'll all work and all catch fish using a crankbait but the crankbait rod will do it that bit better (maybe not the best example but hopefully you know what I mean :)) It's all about finding which line works with your rod for the style of fishing you're doing.