OKUMA Raw-II 1002 Float Reel

ripsomelips

Hi All,

I'm trying to learn how to float fish and wondering if the Okuma Raw-II 1002 is a good float reel? Does anyone know if Okuma is a good and reliable brand? I'm not able to find where the company originated from, but Okuma sounds Japanese to me. I purchased the reel for just under $200 at Lebaron and I'm not sure if its a keeper. Any suggestions or opinions would be great. Below is a link to the reel.

http://www.okuma.com.tw/en/products-view-4-1-19.html

Thank You!

raw_2_2__53292_zoom.jpg

Edited by J.Fisher

Hi All,

I'm trying to learn how to float fish and wondering if the Okuma Raw-II 1002 is a good float reel? Does anyone know if Okuma is a good and reliable brand? I'm not able to find where the company originated from, but Okuma sounds Japanese to me. I purchased the reel for just under $200 at Lebaron and I'm not sure if its a keeper. Any suggestions or opinions would be great. Below is a link to the reel.

http://www.etackle.ca/okuma-raw-ii-float-reel-1002/

Thank You!

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by Misfish

And you have the nerve to use

etackle.ca. for your pic?????????

I used etackle as it was the first site i found with sufficient information. However, where did etackle get their pic? From the Okuma website. We both are using the same pics from the same source. I have changed the link to accomodate your complaint

Edited by J.Fisher

I recently purchased the okuma aventa.........and love it.......Its an entry level float reel imo ......but should be more than enough if you are just getting in to float fishing.

I lost my mind the first five or six times I went out with it........takes a bit to get a handle on casting......but once you hook a fish you are gonna have the time of your life!!!!!

I recently purchased the okuma aventa.........and love it.......Its an entry level float reel imo ......but should be more than enough if you are just getting in to float fishing.

I lost my mind the first five or six times I went out with it........takes a bit to get a handle on casting......but once you hook a fish you are gonna have the time of your life!!!!!

Thank you for your comment! I look forward to using it, but at the same time there's a possibility there may be a better reel for the same price. If not, shes a keeper. Do you by the chance know where the brand Okuma originated from?

Edited by J.Fisher

I used etackle as it was the first site i found with sufficient information. However, where did etackle get their pic? From the Okuma website. We both are using the same pics from the same source.

Labra, didnt have a pic?

Maybe you should of bought from etackle,Price: $194.97 and used their link.

And yes,I own one. bought from etackle.

Nice edit BTW

Edited by Misfish

My point was, you bought from LeBra ,and posted a pic from a well known members www.retail site.

Thats MY POINT.

I could of posted pic from LB. However, LB catalogues are in PDF format which requires all members to have Adobe in order to view the details. To simply things, posting URL to website accomodates everyone. As stated earlier, the etackle link was posted as it was the first link i found with suffificent details. The link was changed earlier to accomodate some people. Not sure why some people are still complaining.....

Edited by J.Fisher

The Okuma will serve you well until you hold a higher end unit in your hands...then and only then...will you notice the difference...one of the bonuses to holding an Okuma in your hands for 14 or 15 hours a day is ...they are nice and light ...and the start up is decent for the price you pay....enjoy ...youll love this technique and it just so happens ...Phil from etackle is an awesome guy to deal with and he carries almost EVERYTHING for float fishing...

A hammer is a hammer as a reel is a reel....they are all tools and some are just a bit more comfy to use then others...

Cheers!

The Okuma will serve you well until you hold a higher end unit in your hands...then and only then...will you notice the difference...one of the bonuses to holding an Okuma in your hands for 14 or 15 hours a day is ...they are nice and light ...and the start up is decent for the price you pay....enjoy ...youll love this technique and it just so happens ...Phil from etackle is an awesome guy to deal with and he carries almost EVERYTHING for float fishing...

A hammer is a hammer as a reel is a reel....they are all tools and some are just a bit more comfy to use then others...

Cheers!

Ya Phils a great guy to deal with.

004-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

Don't worry about the bully's on the site. Sure you probably shouldn't have used that original link, but who cares. If anything, it provides more business and advertising revenue by generating more unique visits to the retail website in question.

With regards to Okuma, I haven't bought any gear from them yet, as I prefer the St. Croix spinning rods and Shimano spinning reels.

Buuuuut, with that being said, it was a very hard decision to not get an Okuma setup because of the price. I've heard mixed reviews about their quality, but for the price, I would say the value is there. I had heard a rumour a while back about Okuma originally making rods and reels for some big brands before starting their own product lines. I'm not sure if this is true as I've never found the info directly from the source.

Personally though, I wouldn't have bought the Okuma float reel before being sure it was what you wanted! Worst thing is buyers remorse, IMO.

Don't worry about the bully's on the site
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Im by far,no bully.

I may have over reacted.Sometime I go to far,and for that I regret dish,n you,JFisher. :jerry:

:oops:

You will be happy with the reel.You will not be disappointed. I have used the matrix,and the raven sst2. It is lighter and just as smooth.

Brian, your hearts in the right spot bud. I've used borrowed images myself. ;)

As for the Okuma Raw float reel. It is a great reel for the price point. In my opinion it is like the Siverado or F150, does the job well. Of cousre you can spend more and jump up to an Escalade or Platimun, but the Silverado will get the job done.

Okuma does make products for other brands. They are working hard on their own branding now through research and developement and they're making huge strides in the freshwater market.

This is the most info I could find out about Okuma.

Based out of Ontario, California.

Founded in 1987, by owner and current President Charles Chang.

"Starting as so many companies do as a spin off, in 1987 Okuma had humble beginnings. The founders came with decades of fishing tackle manufacturing experience, ..."

http://blog.okumafishing.com/about/

Still no mention of where they worked previously, but most of their products seem decent for the price point.

I have purchased an okuma aventa float reel, Okuma Citrix bait casting rod and reel combo and an Okuma hydro spinning reel.

For the price I can't complain at all!!!

I'm pretty hard on my gear and have had no issues

I personally feel that going from spin float fishing to centre pinning immediately makes u love ur new reel more. There simply is no comparison to fighting a fish on a float reel compared to a spinning setup!!!

Unfortunately once u have discovered ur float fishing passion. Ur gonna always be wanting to improve ur gear. And that can get pricey lol

Edited by reelinrolly