fly reel

davey buoy

The reel I have is old,and I put 100 yards of backing on and 84' of floating line. Plus 9' leader and 3' of tippet.After doing so The reel is a small arbor and the spool is only 3/4 full. Should I strip off the line and add more backing?,or is this ok to work with. It's the clicker style reel,not so loud bringing it in,but the drag varies and louder when more drag is applied.

I know the reel is only to store line. When you pull the line out is fairly noisy. Any ideas would be appreciated.

All the reel does is hold line, I wouldn't waste your time stripping it all off to be honest. Especially doing the type of fishing you're doing.

If you can, turn off the drag entirely. No need for it.

All the reel does is hold line, I wouldn't waste your time stripping it all off to be honest. Especially doing the type of fishing you're doing.

If you can, turn off the drag entirely. No need for it.

Thanks Bill but the drag never stops clicking,the sound only gets lesser when you back it right off.

sounds like a ratchet and pawl reel? just remove the pawl, silent retrieve

There's two pawls,should I get rid of the retrieve one only?,or both?. It would still click when you pull the line off,and drag.Thanks.

Edited by davey buoy

It's really up to you, the odds are almost nil that you'll ever need a drag on that thing.. I personally like the reel being quiet.

The clicking is very anoying. Mine is gone. :clapping:

Dave,it,s like a float reel now. You just palm it,if you get a big fish on. :tease::jerry:

Edited by Misfish

The clicking is very anoying. Mine is gone. :clapping:

Dave,it,s like a float reel now. You just palm it,if you get a big fish on. :tease::jerry:

This must be a old reel as there is no way to palm the reel,other than the knuckle busters. Nothing like a float reel.

I may need to buy a reel built in the last 40years.LOL.

CTC has a nice one for 20 or so bucks. Good enough for what were doing Dave.

But I wanted one like April Vokey's I saw this morning. They are some nice looking reels. :clapping:Brian your right,Ill check into that ct reel. Thanks.

You need some resistance especially with line going out or you'll get some nasty overruns. Some guys like the loud clicking noise but most of my reels either have a very quiet click or are silent. A good value quiet reel is the Okuma SLV, not sure aout the CT ones but they're probably similar to the click and pawl one you have now.

Thanks guys,just picked up a "nice" martin caddis creek reel:thumbsup_anim:.For $20 what a difference from the one I have.You can palm this one and turn off the drag clicker for silence and free spools than. Now to strip the line off the old one,and crank it on the new one.:good:

One more question ,do you have to make sure your tippet and leader are outside the rod guides before pulling off line and casting?,that would be 12'-13' outside the end of the rod. Watching a couple beginners videos and it looks like that when he's pulling off line all you see is the floating line throughout the rod.I hope this makes sense?.

Edited by davey buoy

Dave.I will peel off about 10-15 feet of line at my feet ,before I start flicking the line.As im flicking the line,I keep peeling,til I get to the spot I want the fly to land.Hope that helps. Im very new to this,but have seem to find what works,FOR ME.