Bank Fraud

Ralph Field

Last week my wife had her bank access card and her Visa card compromised at the same time. We were informed about a fraudulent purchase on her Visa card moments after the purchase was made by the Visa fraud department and the card was immediately cancelled. She went to purchase an item at Home Hardware and her debit card was refused. At the bank there was a line up of people with compromised debit cards. They ,apparently had called but it is a long distance ring and we likely thought the call was from a telemarketer because no one responded when we said hello so we hung the phone up. the debit card was used at an ATM in the states where a pin likely isn't required. I think that my wife was a victim of someone with an RFID reader. These readers cannot read through metal so I folded up some tin foil and placed it in the outside pocket of my wallet and hers as well. I will also go to the Showcase store where they sell protective sleeves for credit cards and passports. You can see other products to protect yourself if you google Identity Strong. I'm posting this as a warning to members that this seems to be a growing problem so that you can protect yourself and avoid the hassle of getting new cards. Banks do replace any money stolen. The Visa was used at a gas station where a pin isn't required.

Imagine if these Asses would put fourth the same effort to earn an honest living..The world would be so much better off...What ever hapened to earning an honest living anyway?........ :wallbash:

In a perfect world everyone would want a job that they took pride in, however in our world we have those that commit crimes against individuals , banks , and the government.You are correct in saying that with a little effort these criminals could contribute to society instead of being a drain on the system.

Most new debit cards issued are Interac Flash enabled which means you can conduct wireless debit card transactions at some retailers.

When you get a new card you can choose to disable the Flash feature.

Interac Flash enabled cards have security features that should reduce the chance of electronic pick pocketing (someone scanning your card's info unbeknownst to you) but it seems like the bad guys are always one step ahead.

I'd recommend having the Flash capabilities de-activated when obtaining a new card.

Just my $.02 (not paid for using Interac Flash). :)

Edited by Parisite

I had fraud happen on my CC a few years back. Someone in Scarborough used it twice at the grocery store. The first was on xmas eve for $550 worth of goods, then again New Years eve for $400 at a different grocery store.

When I called Visa, they told me that a physical card had been used (therefore they made a copy of it).

Pathetic that some people are such losers that they do this for a living and dont earn it like most of us. Once a loser... always a loser I guess. :asshat:

They must have made a copy of the Visa card to be able to use it at a gas station where you don't enter your pin number. The fact that these crooks are wandering through our stores and malls with their RFID readers is truly disgusting.