Browns Galore

GreenCanada

So I've been pretty fortunate since trout season opened up in zone 16. I've managed to land some big resident rainbows, a nice hen steelhead, and lots of beautiful brookies. I don't get out in boats very often (so lakers are few and far between), but I do hike and explore a lot.

Today I decided to track down some brown's as I hadn't landed any larger than 6-8" this year. I figured I would try a stretch of river/creek that I've wanted to fish for years, but have just never made the time. I've always focused on my old spots, but after today maybe I'll start acting on my thoughts.

So I landed about 6 or 7 beautiful browns, nothing smaller than 13" and ended up retaining a single 19" beauty. At one point I had 3, 20-22" browns basically fighting for my lure at the same time. The only way I can describe it was like a shark feeding frenzy. I have not experienced brown trout fishing this good, aside from fishing the Bow River in Calgary.

I managed to snap a few photos for posterity sake, but still need to grab myself a replacement trout net and tripod.

Tightlines!

img1540bn.jpg

By greencanada at 2012-05-27

img1542d.jpg

img1544za.jpg

img1546hs.jpg

Nice browns! But you really need to invest in a trout net.

I know, I was kind of embarrassed uploading those pics in the grass. I'll be getting a trout net before I get out on the river again, now if that isn't motivation that I don't know what is!

Great looking fish. Do you know if browns are native to South-ont? How far north does their territory go?

Brown trout are of European origin. In Ontario, they were pretty much only stocked in the great lakes region, but I recall seeing a few lakes in central and north-eastern ontario that have been stocked with brown trout. Someone even told me that one or both of the Jocko's were stocked with browns? :dunno:

Great looking fish. Do you know if browns are native to South-ont? How far north does their territory go?

Here's an interesting read...this document lists all of the waterbodies in Ontario which hold self-sustaining populations of Browns. Fisheries that rely on stocking are not included.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/stel02_198444.pdf

Brown trout are native to Europe and were introduced to Ontario in 1913. As you can imagine, they have become pretty naturalized over the past 100 years and many people now consider them a native fish species, though technically that isn't the case. The same goes for rainbow trout.

Picture of Ontario range

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165834.html