In Keeping With Todays Theme

Well spring speck season is winding down for me as a eagerly await the Zone 16 Musky opener next week. I've got out a few times with my son which has been great but because I'm at a new job and am working afternoons I haven't had any opportunity to get out with my fishing pal John.

Like my southern Ontario big stream fishing I have another gig that comes online right after it finishes due to warm water. It normally last for just a week or two and involves a lot more driving so we only hit it once a year and I talked my buddy into hitting it Saturday.

I packed my gear early and left from work when finished by 11:10. Made the quick half hour drive out to the Drayton area to hook up with John. The canoe is on the Tahoe and the mountain bike is in the back we stop at Tim's in Arthur and load up on Coffee for the long drive.

We arrive at our destination at 5am at our takeout point and unload and hide the mountain bike in the bush. The mozzy's are pretty bad despite the 8 degree temperature. We get to our put in and unload the canoe and break out the rods and line up my fly rod, pack our stuff in the canoe.

I start by fishing my trusty favourite, an orange bowriver bugger, wade out into the river and am rewarded right away on my first swing. OOS smallmouth, ahh it happens, then another one and yet another one. No specks out of this first hole which normally produces. We take a temp of the water and its 62. Which is a perfect temp for river brook trout. Its a head scratcher for us. We get in the canoe and start paddling downstream to the next likely spot.

Finally a speck but not a huge one just a nice one.

DSC01556.jpg

Now this river is an annual tradition and over the years certain spots have acquired nicknames. Fournier's Dry,Robbie's Run, Dobb's Drift and the first back out of the canoe spot Berkely Power Grub hole as its the first place we caight a brook trout on a power grub.

I let John have the hole as I try to capture the whole thing on tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBtJctfxxcI

The fishing wasn't hot and heavy but it wasn't slow either we were catching plenty of fish but the size wasn't great despite the fact that this river does produce giant brook trout with the largest ever caught by us being 23".

Another small video from the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V6VPPXIbMk

Part Two

The last run of the trip is Robbie's Run and its notorious for its big fish and is the hole that produced the 23 incher.

We get into position and John gets rewarded on his drift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj_MUmK2CTU

Some photos

DSC01563.jpg

DSC01562.jpg

We get to the end and I bike the 8k back to the vehicle UPHILL all the way Miro. We pile in and get back home in time for supper. What a full busy day but well worth it Slept till this morning.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Man ... those were sweet specks especially that last one. Feisty little buggers. Nice vids there Brad.

Ok ok I get it ... 8k uphill? that's pretty awesome and I know I shouldn't be mentioning about my 1.5k uphill last weekend but I swear we were hauling close to xxx pounds on our backs. We even threw in a 4 person tent in the canoe which we were carrying holding down. It was tough because it was silly of us not to do two trips. Lessons learned.

As soon as I saw that lake, all my pain was gone. It was just bliss. That was a gorgeous lake Brad.

Ciao

Miro

Man ... those were sweet specks especially that last one. Feisty little buggers. Nice vids there Brad.

Ok ok I get it ... 8k uphill? that's pretty awesome and I know I shouldn't be mentioning about my 1.5k uphill last weekend but I swear we were hauling close to xxx pounds on our backs. We even threw in a 4 person tent in the canoe which we were carrying holding down. It was tough because it was silly of us not to do two trips. Lessons learned.

As soon as I saw that lake, all my pain was gone. It was just bliss. That was a gorgeous lake Brad.

Ciao

Miro

xxx pounds this year feels like xxxx pounds five years from now. Hence my love of the spork or my new found article of pursuit the sporkife

xxx pounds this year feels like xxxx pounds five years from now. Hence my love of the spork or my new found article of pursuit the sporkife

PM me your address, I'll go to MEC and then ship you one :)

Here it is http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/CookwareUtensils/UtensilsAccessories/PRD~5024-831/light-my-fire-spork-xm.jsp

Edited by letsgofishing