I Tried For 2 Weeks To Buy North American NF

bushart

I just read an article about the benefits of Canada with a population of a 100 million instead of the 34-35 million we currently have.

http://www.theglobea...article2436609/

dunno.gif

Thanks for that link KF. Very interesting reading. I understand fully the benefit of hitting that "critical mass" of 100 million, but - wow, there'd sure be some teething pains as we try to get there by welcoming more than 400,000 new immigrants every year.

Unions are not the problem, some business folks are not to blame either. The blame goes to greed. We all shop and most of us have one concern only, price. So who do we have to point the finger at? YOU! You, me and any others who has only one selling feature in mind and that is price! If we didn't have such a mindset the retailers and manufacturers, well some at least, would not have to hunt for offshore made parts or goods.

Here's an example. A couple come up to me the other day. They want to buy a retractable patio awning, 10 x 8 to be specific. I tell them we have several suppliers, one from a binder with U.S made products with a decent warranty and many features and good name brand fabric, price $1400 to $1800. Another which is right off our computer quoting system, no info as to origin, warranty or fabric brand, price around $500, and a 3rd supplier who's product is stocked as a "Special Buy" for like $379 for a 12x8 and basically no warranty after the 1st season and have customers pissed that the fabric only lasted a season.

The dude thought they would be better off to get the better product from the States at the highest price and longest expected life but her comment was yeah, but we can buy 3 or even 4 of the cheap Chinese ones!

They left to argue on their own about which is the best buy. Anyone want to wager on which one they will buy?

Another eg. of this is years ago we tried to market an awning made in Germany which was very expensive but built like a Mercedes. We couldn't get an order for one of them.

Boils down to most of us are happy with junk so long as it's cheap. And why not? After all this has become a disposable society and the Chinese keep reinforcing this reality. One day the world will be flying a red flag and we'll all be living and working for the company store.

We should all be aware of origin and buy local if we can, otherwise the bight in the butt will really hurt in the end. This goes for cross border bargain hunting also. Support your neighbours, anyone remember that campaign from years ago?

Yes Stoty-----One only needs look at the raping of our environment for $$$ and it verifies that as well

I will continue to shop with my conscience---as futile as it seems----up to this spring when I had a Mechanic change the bearings on my boat trailer----and I stood my ground and got the bearings made in the USA---most made in China or Mexico

Actually a recommendation made on this board

Pikehunter---true story---we all shop by price---but Good point on shopping local

I live in a small town ---I buy at my local hardware store as opposed to big box stores---and also support our local farmers at their market in summer---better stuff anyway.