Walleye rod/reel

mistaredone

Ive got into a little walleye fishing over the last few years and I'm now looking for a combo. The 7' mh Shimano Crucial with a Shimano Stratic reel was my first thought. I have a larger older stratic that I use for pike so the Stratic was my first thought although I heard the quality has slipped over the years. The Crucial just felt great in my hand.

Most of my fishing has been vertical jigging in 7-15 fow.

Ive got into a little walleye fishing over the last few years and I'm now looking for a combo. The 7' mh Shimano Crucial with a Shimano Stratic reel was my first thought. I have a larger older stratic that I use for pike so the Stratic was my first thought although I heard the quality has slipped over the years. The Crucial just felt great in my hand.

Most of my fishing has been vertical jigging in 7-15 fow.

There are many rods that would do a great job. I would go more with a 7 foot medium weight extra fast action rod. As for the reel, you don't have to spend all that much money. A Stradic is over kill in my opinion. A Symetre is just as good. Expensive spinning reels don't cast further or give you better hook ups or better drags than other reels costing between 70 and 125 dollars. Yes....more expensive reels may be a bit smoother to operate but when reeling in only 15 to 30 feet of line when vertical jigging, the difference in smoothness is not noticeable.

Dabluz makes some very good points.

I'd say the power of the rod depends on where you're gonna fish the most. If you fish Quinte a lot, then go with a MH (trust me), but pretty much anywhere else for Walleye... go with a Med power. 7 foot length is ideal.

Another awesome (cheaper) reel is the Shimano Sedona. I absolutely love those reels, and for around the $60 mark... they can't be beat. Very smooth reels with great drag systems. If you're first thought was a Stradic, then by all means go with one. Those are beautiful reels.

It's all personal preference when it comes to rods/reels.

While the current trend is towards longer rods, I prefer a shorter rod for vertical presentations. A medium rod with a fast tip in the 6'- 6'6" size. As for the reel, as Stoty says, you really don't need a high end reel at all. Almost anything reliable will do. River fishing makes a difference too and that's also one of the reasons I prefer the shorter rod.

Ahhhhhhhh Roy...... you're making it REALLY hard to NOT make a smart :asshat: comment on that one! :whistling:

I reckon that if I'm making it really hard for you, you're the one with the problem eh?

I love the St Croix avid. For vertical jigging I have the 7' medium light. I paired it with the Pflueger President. The light weight of the Pflueger matches really well.

There are plenty of great options out there. I was messing around with a Shimano Cumara in a tackle shop and it felt pretty amazing.

I have a couple of Diawa Laguna reels that I have been beating up on for years and they have provided me with nothing but perfect service. They are a touch heavy when compared to the Pfluegers but they are still a great reel.

While the current trend is towards longer rods, I prefer a shorter rod for vertical presentations. A medium rod with a fast tip in the 6'- 6'6" size. River fishing makes a difference too and that's also one of the reasons I prefer the shorter rod.

I tend to agree here with a 6'3" being ideal for me. if you are dead set on a crucial i would look at the CRSDX68MA drop shot rod. If you are not set on the crucial look at the Clarus CSS60MB. as far as reels are concerned i feel the same way, just ordered 4 Stradics in LOL.

Edited by DaveMc

There are many rods that would do a great job. I would go more with a 7 foot medium weight extra fast action rod. As for the reel, you don't have to spend all that much money. A Stradic is over kill in my opinion. A Symetre is just as good. Expensive spinning reels don't cast further or give you better hook ups or better drags than other reels costing between 70 and 125 dollars. Yes....more expensive reels may be a bit smoother to operate but when reeling in only 15 to 30 feet of line when vertical jigging, the difference in smoothness is not noticeable.

Yeah, I feel a little stupid paying $200 on a reel that will barely use any drag and will only be taking up 10' of line. My big thing is the bail arm turns over smooth and effortlessly and a reel that will last.

Dabluz makes some very good points.

I'd say the power of the rod depends on where you're gonna fish the most. If you fish Quinte a lot, then go with a MH (trust me), but pretty much anywhere else for Walleye... go with a Med power. 7 foot length is ideal.

Another awesome (cheaper) reel is the Shimano Sedona. I absolutely love those reels, and for around the $60 mark... they can't be beat. Very smooth reels with great drag systems. If you're first thought was a Stradic, then by all means go with one. Those are beautiful reels.

It's all personal preference when it comes to rods/reels.

All my walleye fishing so far has been kawarthas 18-29" class fish or 10-14 but never slot lol. I think I had the Sedona in my hands at LBs yesterday and it was nice and smooth other than the bail arm. Seemed like a good opton to put more cash in the muskie lure budget lol

I tend to agree here with a 6'3" being ideal for me. if you are dead set on a crucial i would look at the CRSDX68MA drop shot rod. If you are not set on the crucial look at the Clarus CSS60MB. as far as reels are concerned i feel the same way, just ordered 4 Stradics in LOL.

So a CRSDX68MA drop shot rod for jigging over a CRC72MA worn and jig?