400 N traffic

brw

Mates:

Am planning our trip to Geo Bay via Key River (in only 29 days, 12 hrs and 37 min but who's counting) and we usually leave at a time that puts us on 400 N around 2:00 p.m or so. Traffic is "thick" to Barrie until old 69 N but manageable. We are toying with leaving later, which may put us on that run around 5:00 p.m. My guess is that the traffic to Barrie is horrible and reduces to a crawl by then? Am also thinking that we should stick to our old plan, but would appreciate the thoughts of those who live there and travel that stretch regularly. Thanks to all who respond--much appreciated.

Mates:

Am planning our trip to Geo Bay via Key River (in only 29 days, 12 hrs and 37 min but who's counting) and we usually leave at a time that puts us on 400 N around 2:00 p.m or so. Traffic is "thick" to Barrie until old 69 N but manageable. We are toying with leaving later, which may put us on that run around 5:00 p.m. My guess is that the traffic to Barrie is horrible and reduces to a crawl by then? Am also thinking that we should stick to our old plan, but would appreciate the thoughts of those who live there and travel that stretch regularly. Thanks to all who respond--much appreciated.

Stick to your original plan. Especially if you are hauling a boat/trailer. Anytime after 4:00 pm is stop and go somewhere on that stretch. Also expect delays on old 69 right after the split from Barrie. They are ramping up for resurfacing northbound.

I would stick to your original plan , you don't want to be anywhere near that area 401/400 at 5:00pm especially if it is a Friday . I would try

to be in the Barrie area no later then 3:00-3:30pm and it should be smooth sailing except for possible construction delays just north of the split !

I would stick to your original plan , you don't want to be anywhere near that area 401/400 at 5:00pm especially if it is a Friday . I would try

to be in the Barrie area no later then 3:00-3:30pm and it should be smooth sailing except for possible construction delays just north of the split !

Thanks Fellas-for once my instincts were correct! How bad is the backup at the split? Just wonderin...perhaps I'll send an email alerting the highway authorities that I'm coming on June 8th so they can speed things up and be done by the time I arrive!!wink.gif

I've hit the 400 late afternoon /early evening on a Friday night and it's even backed up nearing where the ETR connects onto 400 - and it is bumper to bumper to Barree. I've also changed my travel plans to hit it early afternoon now. Pulling the boat, I picked a lane and just stayed there.

I went up that way to Georgian bay yesterday and after the split there are sections of highway that is down to one lane due to construction. Just a heads up.

Yup, from Forbes to about 93..

Thanks Fellas-for once my instincts were correct! How bad is the backup at the split? Just wonderin...perhaps I'll send an email alerting the highway authorities that I'm coming on June 8th so they can speed things up and be done by the time I arrive!!wink.gif

You might get lucky and some of that construction will be over but honestly I don't think so , when it gets a little closer to your departure

remind us and someone here can give you an up to date report on road conditions/construction . I travel that stretch of road to Parry Sound

all most weekly so I for sure can let you know !

The construction will not be done by June. You are right, some of it will be done. But they are re-building a bridge (again). The construction will likely be going on for the entire summer in places.

I commute from Barrie up to Orr Lake daily.

If the construction/traffic is bad, there are lots of side roads you can take.

Edited by N.A.W

You might get lucky and some of that construction will be over but honestly I don't think so , when it gets a little closer to your departure

remind us and someone here can give you an up to date report on road conditions/construction . I travel that stretch of road to Parry Sound

The construction will not be done by June. You are right, some of it will be done. But they are re-building a bridge (again). The construction will likely be going on for the entire summer in places.

I commute from Barrie up to Orr Lake daily.

If the construction/traffic is bad, there are lots of side roads you can take.

Here is the 'definitive' answer:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/trip/construction_reports-central.shtml#Contract2011-2009

Thanks 4x4 will do! Appreciate it.