Bullhead Catfish

got out for some cats tonight for the first time this year... this is something ive done since i was a little kid... they arent big but there are plenty to catch and it is really easy... so any time i get a couple free hours at night i slip out to a creek...slap on the bobber...hook...worm and im ready to go...

i was out for about 2 hours... got 20-30 bullhead.... most are around the 12 inch mark....and an OOS largemouth bass...dont worry fellas...it was released ASAP...no pics....lol

anyways...heres a pic of the first cat of the year...

catfish.jpg

MMMmmm...spring bullheads...My granddad and I used to catch them using a "bob" (about twenty dew worms sown on a strong thread stringer then tied into a ball...no hooks)...we used a four foot stick with about the same amount of heavy green cord attached and tied the ball of worms to that...We would anchor in about three feet of water at dusk and when you felt a bite you just lifted the catfish into the boat...seems they won't let go until they touch sumpin'...Dumped them in our "live box" near shore and took out a dozen or so anytime we felt like having fish for dinner...good.gif

MMMmmm...spring bullheads...My granddad and I used to catch them using a "bob" (about twenty dew worms sown on a strong thread stringer then tied into a ball...no hooks)...we used a four foot stick with about the same amount of heavy green cord attached and tied the ball of worms to that...We would anchor in about three feet of water at dusk and when you felt a bite you just lifted the catfish into the boat...seems they won't let go until they touch sumpin'...Dumped them in our "live box" near shore and took out a dozen or so anytime we felt like having fish for dinner...good.gif

We had long Bamboo poles...like 20 footers... I remember that line too...black or green heavy braid line... And hand carved red and white bobbers shaped like a fish... With the kerosene lantern hissing behind us on the dock...

We had long Bamboo poles...like 20 footers... I remember that line too...black or green heavy braid line... And hand carved red and white bobbers shaped like a fish... With the kerosene lantern hissing behind us on the dock...

We used the bamboo poles when fishing from shore or from the nearby bridge...

The green line came in a paper wrapper from the local hardware store...cost a quarter I think...back in the 40's...thumbsup_anim.gif

It's funny about regions around here they are called mudcats and most consider them to be even below carp on the eating scale. Now Chanel cats and blue cats will hit just about anyone's table here for food.

Art

It's funny about regions around here they are called mudcats and most consider them to be even below carp on the eating scale. Now Chanel cats and blue cats will hit just about anyone's table here for food.

Art

I heard that restaurants in some states have mudcats on the menu as "mountain trout"...

I heard that restaurants in some states have mudcats on the menu as "mountain trout"...

I haven't come across that in the areas I have been but you can bet I wouldn't order any food with the word mountain in it since my order of "Mountain Oysters" and found out what they really were. :D

Art