Need some QUICK advice from the T.O. Folk

NAW

I know this is very last minute, and totally NF.

My week has been a disaster. My Step Mom died last weekend. My Dad is in ROUGH shape.

I am going to his place at Martin Grove and 401 tomorrow morning at 7:30am. I need to get him to the funeral home at Danforth and Main for 9am.

Rush Hour. :wallbash:

What's my best bet. 401 to DVP South, Don Mills, O'Connor, Woodbine south to Danforth

OR

427 south to Gardener, Lakeshore, then up Woodbine to Danforth.

Google says they're both 32 minutes.. Rush hour, things might be different. :dunno:

My old man has lived in T.O his entire life, but I'll be lucky if he's coherent. I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow one single bit. But I have to help my old man out.

I'll check this post again in the morning before I leave my house at 6am. Any help from the night hawks would be more the greatly appreciated.

Edited by N.A.W

If he's right at 401 on Martin Grove Nick.. no need to get on the 427 period. 400.. 401 west and get off at Dixon Rd/ Martin Grove ramp onto Martin Grove. That time of morning I'd be tempted to get off the 400 at Finch.. go West across Finch.. crossing Islington, Kipling. Albion Rd and then left / South on Martin Grove and follow it down.

Okay.. I woke up.. how to get to the funeral home.. not his house! Good luck!

Edited by irishfield

Thanks Wayne. Ya, getting to his house is easy. It's getting him across town that has me thinking :blink:

My old mad used to be a truck driver before he lost his licence. He know's the city inside and out. BUT, like I said. He's in a really bad spot right now. Last time I talked to him, he didn't know what day it was, or if it was morning or evening. He's totally lost. :(

Edited by N.A.W

401to DVP and south is going to be a cluster..*bucket*. Gardiner eastbound can be bad as well. Lemme look at a map and see what I would do, Is there any chance of getting to your dad's place earlier , just to be safe ?

and sorry to hear about your mom and I hope your dad can heal. My dad had a rough time when my mom went as well.

If you are not against taking the subway, that would be the best option. Pay the $5 parking at Kipling station, and take the subway directly to Danforth and main. It'll literally take you right there. Should take you only 40 minutes or so by subway, by car your lucky if its less than 1.5 hours!

TTC Map - Take from kipling on the bloor-danforth line to main

http://www3.ttc.ca/Subway/interactivemap.jsp

Ok, if it were me, I'd opt for the southern route to Main and Danforth. The top end leaves very little Plan B. Check CP 24 or 680 news for traffic updates.

So I might go 427 south and take Gardiner east but get OFF at the Lakeshore /Gardiner split ! Lakeshore may be slowish but you can find other routes in from there. You *could* take lakeshore all the way across and work your way up the danforth and main a number of ways. Personally, I'd consider getting back on the Gardiner at Rees (Rogers Centre/Skydome)so you can bypass downtown and head east till the gardiner dumps you at carlaw.

If the 427 is pooched, take kipling or islington down and then you could go queensway or lakeshore into the city. I realize they're not highways but the chances of getting stuck in traffic and not moving are less than the Gardiner.

take a look at mapquest.ca and you can use that to plot a route or routes.

good luck and hopefully traffic will be lighter since it's a friday.

if you have an iPhone, the map app is great since it shows traffic conditions as well. regardless, I think getting into town earlier than 7:30, if you can, would be good.

ps-bigmac's idea is also worth considering as it just means you find a seat at the start of the line and head east. simplest really.

Edited by woodenboater

If it were me.........

1. I'd go East on 401

2. To South on Bayview

3. To East on Eglinton

4. To South on Laid

5. To East on O'connor

6. To South on Woodine until you hit Danforth

7. Go East on Danforth until you hit Main St.

Edited by Ben_Daniels

I really appreciate the quick tips guys.

I'll have my GPS on. I never thought to tune in to 680 for traffic. I'll do that.

It's nice to know I can lean on my OFC family in a pinch. There's always people willing to help out here.

You guys/gals are GREAT!

Jeez, I'm late on this one. I would have said pick him up at 7am, take the 401 to DVP to Don Mills Rd South, left on O'Connor to Woodbine, right on Woodbine (only way) down to Danforth, Left on Danforth to Main to Giffin Mack. (I grew up down there so Iknow the area well).

Thanks again for the tips gang.

Just a quick update. We left my dads place at about 7:45, and got to the funeral home at 9:03.

Took the south way along the Gardener. It was slow, but it worked out perfect in the end.

I'm off to Cuba now!!

Got a pack rod, and my Shimano Symetre. A small tackle box. Gunna snag fresh shrimp from the buffet for bait :canadian:

See Ya'll in a week :Gonefishing: