Minor boat repair. Advice needed

Jer_H

First off, Happy Easter!

At the end of the season last year, I pulled a little too hard on a hinge on my front casting deck and pulled a couple screws up.

What would the best way be to secure them back down. A friend suggested to simply use a larger diameter screw, however I'd prefer to somehow fill the existing hole and re-use the original screws.

Suggestions?

Peg the screw hole with a peace of wood with Welbond glue. let glue dry then use the original screw or new, a little bigger if you like. Make sure Stainless screws.

Whittle the peace of wood to a point

Edited by Fish Farmer

Peg the screw hole with a peace of wood with Welbond glue. let glue dry then use the original screw or new, a little bigger if you like. Make sure Stainless screws.

X2.. and you can use a peice of wooden dowling , drill the screw holes to fit the dowl size and weldbond clue them in , be sure to drill the hole a bit smaller so you have to hammer in the dowling .......good.gif

Edited by Skipper " D "

First off, Happy Easter!

At the end of the season last year, I pulled a little too hard on a hinge on my front casting deck and pulled a couple screws up.

What would the best way be to secure them back down. A friend suggested to simply use a larger diameter screw, however I'd prefer to somehow fill the existing hole and re-use the original screws.

Suggestions?

If you can bolt through. If not use a good epoxy, mix with some thickening fibres, fill the hole, soak the fastener in WD-40 and slowly turn the fastener into the epoxy filled hole. This will allow you to remove the screw but will be very strong.

Used this procedure many times for door hinges. Works very well.