shelter valley fish kill/dam destroyed

chessy

this is a copy and paste from another site... i dont know if the mnr has showed up or not or if other people have heard about it On Thursday night a company doing work on the dam at the top of shelter valley drained the pond and opened the dam up. Found about 100 dead rainbows and most fish got washed out. For instance Thursday afternoon there was easily 500 fish in one hole alone ( I have shown a few membersthis spot and I am being very conservitive in that number ) and yesterday afternoon only about 15 fish in it. Mnr was called right away and the co did return a call but said he couldn't get down right now. As of today no one has come and they company was working away there today. I got threatened with a fine for cutting an overhanging limb that the kids loose floats in and if a company ruins the spawn it's not a big deal.

And this is why good environmental assessments are important. I won't over-speculate, but sounds like the company didn't think this one through or didn't have proper mitigation methods in place.

There should be regulatory eyes there documenting everything. Maybe the MOE or DFO showed up?

What a waste of effort/money if all those fish were killed.

I hope they got Pictures, Video & documented it & maybe a call to the DFO & MOE would do more good, when something like that happened around here the MNR wouldn`t do anything until the DFO was done doing there investigation

Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif

Edited by spinnerbaitking

I hope they got Pictures, Video & documented it & maybe a call to the DFO & MOE would do more good, when something like that happened around here the MNR wouldn`t do anything until the DFO was done doing there investigation

Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif

Has the DFO been involved??

People its tough but you have to understand that keeping a fishing habitat "secret" has its down side. Secret means no one knows about it including in some cases the MNR(that's experience talking that involved a chemical spill and an isolated Brook Trout population. It also means that that secret spot has no friends to help protect it in a fight. By no means is Shelter Valley a secret and this was a worthy OP I just would like some more info on follow up if there is any. I'm a big proponent of the practice of our CO's being used more for habitat protection than anti poaching. Healthy habitats can always grow more fish to replace those illegally caught but a destroyed habitat means no more fish period. And if this was a release of silt from behind a dam at this time of the year it would not only suffocate the adults in the system but all the redds as well and ruin spawning habitat for a couple of years at least.

Edited by Musky or Specks