RIP The Godfather of loud

BITEME

LONDON - Jim Marshall, who helped shape the sound of rock with his groundbreaking amplifier designs, has died. He was 88.

His son Terry Marshall said he died in a hospice in England on Thursday morning after suffering from cancer and several severe strokes.

Jim Marshall was known throughout the music world for founding Marshall Amplification, which produced the amplifiers that rocked music halls and arenas after their introduction in 1960.

Photographs from the era show many of rock's most illustrious guitarists performing in front of stacks of Marshall amplifiers.

Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page and others were drawn to the rough, loud sound produced by the English-made amps.

Rest in Peace.....Thanks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the old 4x10 still sits in my basement. the marshall head died years ago, but the speakers still wail once and a while when the kids go out.

RIP jim

love marshall amps.ive since been downgraded to small practice amps,but one day id like to get back to the cabs.

also one does not simply trade metal for folk songs....metal will always be in your blood!

i have an acoustic for my strumming,but always have my esp on hand for the metals

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

also one does not simply trade metal for folk songs....metal will always be in your blood!

i have an acoustic for my strumming,but always have my esp on hand for the metals

it the words i'm my man joe strummer...

"Somewhere in my soul, there's always rock and roll."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbWdtlWmuLE

Nothing says "listen to me" like a Marshall... RIP

Doc, are you sure that you have a 4x10 cab? Normally, Marshalls come in 4x12 configurations for both the flat and angled stacks...

HH

Edited by Headhunter

100% HH. it's not uncommon for gents like be to use the 1965b 4x10 as a 6 string rig. the GL10's are a great speaker although i had to replace one side at one point.

http://c0.dmlimg.com/1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263363ce38ea221336ea6fa5c75bb230f49ca.jpg

Cool bro!

Heaven is now going to "Eleven"

HH