Oil Change

LucG

Hey eveyone! Its been a while since I've posted, but winters gone, so fish on!

Anyways, I'm planning on taking the boat out of storage and changing the oil and filter. This is the first time I'm going to attempt this on my own. know the general procedures to changing and replacing oil and filters since I've been doing it for years on my atv. I'm just wondering if anyone might know where the drain plug is on a 2008 Honda 30HP 4 Stroke. I wont have access to a telephone or internet while im out there, so I want to have an idea going into it.

Thanks

if your looking at the back of the motor... the drain should be dead center less then a foot from the hood...

there is a big flat head screw that releases a plastic piece... this plastic piece just kind of tips down and will act like a spout for the draining oil...

then there is a hex bolt...this is the actual drain bolt...

have rags/paper towel ready... theres no really clean way to do it..

this is how any honda ive seen is set up...

I use a 2 litre bottle, not coke but the ones that have gator aid or similar contents, the bottle mouth is slightly larger. Drain the oil before removing the filter, lay a bunch of throw away rags under the oil filter, it can get a bit messy. I use an expanding oil filter wrench, Princess Auto part #SKU: 8002216. I think it's 1.6 litres of oil with the filter change.

Tilt motor all the way up, remove drain plug slowly while holding a funnel of some sort with a hose attached under the drain hole, lower the motor very slowly and drain oil in a drain pan/container, remove oil filter when all the oil is drained……………………….have lots of rags handy just in case. :wallbash:

Edited by stonefish

I did kind of the same as stonefish, with tilting the motor all the way up; but I made up a drain hose that I could wind into the oil drain hole.

I can’t remember the size of the drain plug thread; but I went to a local bolt supplier and picked up a bolt the same size about an 1 ½ inch long, Cut the hex head off and then drilled a ¼ inch hole through its length. I then attached a 3 foot long hose to the hollowed out bolt.

With the engine tilted up remove drain plug, thread the drain hose into the hole and then lower engine; no fuss no mess to clean up on the lower unit.

As for the oil filter, like everyone said get a bunch of rags.

Dan.

I have the exact same motor but a 2006... it is very easy to do. The first few times I did an oil change it WAS very messy... but I came up with a little system that eliminates virtually all the mess. I stack up a couple milk crates on either side of the motor, then put a wide board across them. This 'shelf' is just under the height of the oil drain bolt. I use an automotive oil drain pan, and place it on that shelf just under the drain screw. 99.9% of the oil ends up in that pan. For changing the filter, I stuff a couple of rags in the space underneath the filter - if you don't, oil will run down there and it is a PITA to get out. If I can remember, changing oil and filter requires 1.9 litres of fresh oil afterwards, 1.6 is if you don't change the filter.

Peter

Thanks Pete!

One thing that I dont have is an oil filter wrench. Is this something that I can simply do by hand, or is a tool required?

Unless the filter wasn't put on by a gorilla, you might get lucky, otherwise check the link for the filter wrench I posted above. Some of the other type won't fit because of confined space.