Steelhead Facts on the Saugeen

Hey Guys

Here are some numbers that will make your head spin, proof that if we work together we can make a huge difference, join a local Club &/or the Ontario Steelheaders, to help finance your future in fishing, not a bad trade off in my opinion, (Derbies, Fish Fries)

Just my .02 worth SBKGonefishing.gif

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3519135

the pleasures far outweigh the "work"(lack of a better word) on more levels then imaginable...Im quite sure Grant Ferris is casting from afar... :clapping:....

For those planning a trip to the Saugeen this weekend....please respect the area with your garbage :thumbsup_anim:

Although im quite confident there will be another BIG push of bullets the droppies are very black and spawned out and do not make good table fare...Please handle them with care should you land one and avoid putting your fingers in their gills

http://64.177.125.54/Chantry/index.htm

Hey Guys

Here are some numbers that will make your head spin, proof that if we work together we can make a huge difference, join a local Club &/or the Ontario Steelheaders, to help finance your future in fishing, not a bad trade off in my opinion, (Derbies, Fish Fries)

Just my .02 worth SBKGonefishing.gif

http://www.owensound....aspx?e=3519135

Wow, that article says the Saugeen is producing a run close to 45,000 adult steelhead !!!!!! (When you combine fall and spring runs).

Thats a ridiculous amount of fish! Wow...........amazing.

Great work by the boys over the years has finally paid off, and, made the Saugeen the river it always had the potential to be.

Used to spend alot of time on that river back when the runs were barely a tenth of those numbers. Love the big water, and, strong currents. There is no comparison to fighting them in some of the "drainage ditches" in Eastern Ontario.

Dare I say the word stocking. Persistent stocking (and transporting the fish over the dam too of course). I might also add that very few anglers (none actually) that I know of consider Saugeen steelhead in any way weak. It could happen here (GTA) too. :canadian:

Dare I say the word stocking. Persistent stocking (and transporting the fish over the dam too of course). I might also add that very few anglers (none actually) that I know of consider Saugeen steelhead in any way weak. It could happen here (GTA) too. :canadian:

Here we go again.

I've said this before, but yes, the Saugeen run was kick started by stocking.

Not blindly stocking inferior hatchery fish into trib's as is the case south of the border. The fisheries you seem so intent on throwing in everyone's faces as a model for success.

This type of fishery management creates a good, but entirely artificial fishery. One that's 100% dependant on stocking, and one that features a quality of fish that are frankly lacking.

The fish that were stocked into the Saugeen were reared from wild fish collected at Denny's dam.

In addition the groups involved have been lifting fish at the dam and transporting them upstream.

As well fish ladders have been been built allowing the steelhead access to untold miles of nursery headwaters.

All in the name of creating a wild and viable self sustaining run of steelhead.

What they're doing is a FAR cry from what you've been preaching and strangely enough in most respects is EXACTLY what CRAA has been doing with the Credit.

Not surpringly the Saugeen and the Credit are currently the two greatest success stories in Ontario as far as steelhead runs goe.

So the keys to success are obvious: habitat enhancement, removal of dams or construction of fishways, and yes stocking if necessary to give things a kick start. But stocking smolts raised from an already wild strain of fish.

Holycrap, that's exactly what we are doing here at CRAA. But I guess because it's CRAA it's wrong right Snidley?

the Credit has something the Saugeen doesnt really have....and that is fishing pressure with its gauntlet like runs...my hats off to you all for fighting in the right direction....it is definatly not an easy task as im sure you all can attest to but its a fight that is worth fighting if only for the passion! Keep up the great work....I believe you guys are winning

the Credit has something the Saugeen doesnt really have....and that is fishing pressure with its gauntlet like runs...my hats off to you all for fighting in the right direction....it is definatly not an easy task as im sure you all can attest to but its a fight that is worth fighting if only for the passion! Keep up the great work....I believe you guys are winning

I don't know man, last fall below Denny's the crowds were insane 7 days a week.

The Saugeen gets occasional pressure, the Credit, like all GTA tribs gets constant pressure and there have been very few anglers on the Saugeen this year, especially during the week while the Credit has been very busy this March. The streams themselves are much smaller and therefore easier tribs to fish in the GTA as well. Some of the eastern tribs are literally drainage ditches. The Saugeen is not getting a "kick-start" from stocking it gets persistent stocking, heavy by Ontario standards, year after year, after year. They wisely stock from healthy wild fish just like New York State. New York State does stock domestic rainbows but not in the rivers, they stock domestics in lakes and ponds in a real put and take fishery. The Saugeen is not managed the same way as the Credit and I think most of the guys managing the Saugeen would be insulted to be lumped with the management team of the Credit. They are not the same at all.

I will admit that the Saugeen has advantages over the Credit. It has a larger watershed, with better spawning water than the Credit(and there is good natural reproduction). It's a big river with much less pressure (Dennys dam excepted) than the Credit/GTA tribs and the management of the river is in the hands of a committed knowledgeable crew of mainly old geezers that are stocking, stocking stocking. Persistently. They lift the fish effectively as well and to my knowledge they have never resorted to fishing in sanctuaries for any reason.

I will also admit that if money was no object, stream enhancement would be desirable on all GTA tribs, but money is not unlimited AND there are other rivers in the GTA that deserve attention besides the Credit. Stocking, using eggs freshly taken from wild fish, is a much more cost effective method of enhancing the returns in all GTA tribs not just the Credit. Selective pen rearing in addition to upstream release would be smart implementation . Avoiding boondoggles like the Atlantic program would be prudent as well. Just imagine how much quality stocking could have been done over the last 5 years if the Atlantic stocking money had gone instead to stocking bows, Chinnooks and Cohos. I appreciate that the Aussie winery probably would not have put money towards "invasive species like Salmon and rainbows" but good faith partners would have made the attempt to set them straight as to what was feesable and what was not. The MNR, OFAH and CRAA did not do so for reasons known only to them but everyone will be able to witness the absolute bust that is the Atlantic program observed over the next few seasons now that the winey cash is done. In fishery terms it will be like the Splake program and in government terms it will be like ORNG and E- health. Either way it will be a bust of enormous proportions and that's why CRAA is backtracking.

Paul where so you get your info from? The Atlantic program is alive and well and benefits a lot of other things in its path. CRAA is backtracking? what the hell does that even mean? Everytime you post you make negative comments about CRAA and others but yet you continue to do NOTHING to help the fishery, please go away.

Joseph Ward

CRAA Hatchery Manager

Take the HIGH ROAD Joeseph....you guys are doing great things and moving in a positive direction....there really is no need to defend the positive effects the CRAA has on the river...Keep up the Great work :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers....

The guys up on the geen are doing awsome things to move that fishery along. Rearing fish is an expensive time consuming excercise that requires lots of man power and effort good on them.

If the goal is a put delay and take fishery they are on the right path with robust fish as the source for eggs, if its a sustainable fishery based on Natural reproduction again they are making some decent inroads also, time will tell just how great and sustainable that fishery can become.

I had a meeting over fish today and one thing that I mentioned as part of the dialogue and something I really want to echo to anyone who fishes, because many of us have lost sight of the real intent of this

The Credit right here right now has the largest run of wild naturally reproducing anadromous fish since Atlantic Salmon were etripated in the 1800's. Driven by volenteers who daily and I mean daily collide with other groups who want rainbows stopped dead in thier tracks at a dam with zero potential for natural reproduction. Without craa the Credit would have a run of 800 to 1200 fish yet despite all the opposition to CRAA transfers and such we continue transfers, a stocking program, habitat restoration and more, thankfully there is an MNR who believes we are doing the right thing.

We believe 12000 to 15000 fish with enter the system this year 100% due to volenteers transferring them above Norval to reproduce naturally.

The MNR has no capacity to wipe its behind yet an Urban stream with all its issues has achieved something that hasnt occured since the 1800's that folks is what should be celebrated, and worked on to continue. We dont always have to agree, volenteers wear thier heart on a slevve, thats the intrinsic nature of a volenteer.

None the less we should stand up and celebrate what we have achieved.

Mike said it best two rivers with the largest runs of Rainbow Trout in the province run by two great groups......not a coincidence

PLEASE stop the rebuttals and celebrate what we in fact have....two world class rainbow fisheries on our doorsteps, all because of a handful of volenteers. Volenteer your time, money and will power because without the volenteers these rivers would be conduits for nothing more then empty water

Lous Milo

Vice Chairman

CRAA

Edited by aniceguy

Its sad to see that ,we need to put that much effort into our fishery to keep it going but it seems to be a common theme nowadays. The MNR needs to budget more funds to help our fishery. The great news is it goes without showing a bunch of dedicated individuals who care, and take tons of hours seems to really be paying off.

I think if we all did a little bit to help our fisheries we can have the best. Great work to all volunteers .