The Muzzling of Science

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Otherwise, the public might not be able to grasp the significance of the research and individuals won't be able to form their own opinions and come up with alternative theories, should they want to.

Precisely what they want!

An open, science-based community of critical thinkers in this country might just be detrimental to Stephen and his bunch of backward-thinking criminals. An ugly picture is starting to unfold...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

sorry to say, but you have to have a background in biology to interpret scientific journals, which is why it is necessary for scientific studies to be explained to society at large in a way that they understand the findings.

i love righties and their claims of liberal bias. i don't think it's too much to ask that our PUBLIC servants be accountable to the public.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

liberal bias is what righties say when the media proves conservatives are incorrect on something. it's a sad and tiresome defense mechanism that nobody believes, so why do you keep saying it?

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

when i was in the public service i was forced to swear an oath not to talk about my work to the public or the media. that is Bull because i work for you, the people, not mr. harper.

Its fairly standard practise for public servants to not disclose information to the public. I did the same thing when working for several government agencies, even ones while the liberals were in charge. Its nothing new. I am not against science, I am not even against the liberals. However it took a majority govt to erase the retardedness known as the gun registry that the liberals shoved down everyones throat. So now because of that stupididity we need to put up with the PC's for a few more years. Then we can go back to a fence sitting minority where nothing gets done, and everyone can be happy again.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i feel it is the publics right to know what public servants are doing with their tax dollars, don't you?

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i have no problems with the removal of the gun registry. it's everything else they've done since that burns my britches... cutting back on science and environment agencies to fund the building of prisons and war machines is ridiculous and against the principles our country is built on. but keep voting to make harpers friends rich! i can't wait until these bible thumping domestic terrorists are sent packing!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

That entire scene is a mess. I have been following Alexandra Morton's blog all along and it is an eye opener. It began by letting a foreign commercial interest farm Atlantic Salmon in the Pacific in the middle of one of the Earth's largest sources of quality protein, the Fraser Sockeye run. The involvement of the Privy Council, which is essentially the PM, in this case shows political meddling plain and simple to shield a group of unscrupulous scoundrels use a Canadian base of operations to poison Canadian waters and ship tainted food to our trading partners. Officially gagging the Federal scientists that could have shed light on the issue is a scary perversion of democracy that reminds me of the worst aspects of the democracy to the south of us. All this will seem like small potatoes when our international customers evaluate what we have been selling them as premium product. The poop will really hit the fan at the WTO when it comes to light internationally that a "Canadian" (but really Norwegian)agribusiness knowingly shipped disease contaminated products overseas to good faith trading partners. It just goes to show how perverted the business/government relationship has become.

Funny thing about the cbc. The more I listen and read what they say, the more I get pushed to the opposite side. I consider myself on the fence when it comes to pollitics. But man o man I just can't help but be shoved over to thr right side. Good thing I wasn't in charge. I would have the lefties throwing seal pups at me and righties tossing bibles at me. :)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

if you say things like "liberal bias" then you're going to have a tough time selling yourself as a centrist.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the oath couldn't have bothered you that much if you took it, and then the pay cheques.

what a stupid post. yes, i recited the oath. did i mean it? no.

am i going to throw away my career based on an oath i don't mean? no.

thanks for adding NOTHING to the discussion though :asshat:

So we can draw from this that you're a hypocrite? :whistling:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

So we can draw from this that you're a hypocrite? :whistling:

another brilliant post. nothing intelligent to say, so you insult my integrity instead. nicely done.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

the oath couldn't have bothered you that much if you took it, and then the pay cheques.

I gotta side with the doc on this one. Most of us are not lucky enough to be self employed, and therefore sometimes have to do or say things that we do not agree with.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I gotta side with the doc on this one. Most of us are not lucky enough to be self employed, and therefore sometimes have to do or say things that we do not agree with.

don't worry about that crud FG. in place of having anything to contribute to the discussion, people feel that they can replace knowledge with slander and attempt to deflect attention from important issues with meaningless insults. it does little to further their agenda, in fact it probably furthers mine.

Something familiar is happening with this thread. Instead of examining an issue, a person who believes in the issue is being attacked. Either take part in a legitimate conversation arguing a point, or do not participate. Unfortunately far too often in our society people try to discredit people who have opinions that they do not agree with, maybe because they do not have the intellect to argue a legitimate point.

I'm sorry, but the statement above does bring your integrity into question. I've never taken money or participated in any job or oath that I'd didn't fully believe in. Using the :asshat: symbol does make my point go away or lessen it's value.

This is a very important subject that has raised very serious and intelligent discussion right across this country. This is not a left or right issue. There are many people on both sides of the political spectrum that are enraged by this. Don't cheapen this discussion with the left/right Bull.

Science should never be stifled or silenced. When the findings of scientific study are silenced and covered up it is usually because somebody's got something to hide. History always frowns on this type of thing. You can only silence science for so long before the truth comes out.