Safe Ice Up North

craigdritchie

There is safe ice up north, if you don't mind driving a bit.

IMG_0682.jpg

Took this photo this morning, showing ice huts on a small lake near Edmonton (where I'm visiting the Edmonton Boat & Sportsmen's Show this week). People I've spoken with here say there's still safe ice, but it's apparently growing very wet and slushy on top. Guys are beginning to pull off their ice huts before they get bogged down permanently. Fishing has apparently been good.

I wasn't able to get the camera out fast enough for a photo, but by comparison, Simcoe was pretty much wide open water this morning, with just a narrow band of what looks like very thin ice through the middle of Cook's Bay. Main lake is wide open, and where there is ice, there are many open pockets along the shore.

Better get those huts off!

i walked out onto my lake yesterday. pretty sketchy! the 6inch auger holes i drilled about a month ago are around 2` in diameter. a couple hundred feet out theres a pressure crack and its open 6inches wide. ya i wouldnt recommend going out unless using extreme caution, it just not worth it. wait 2weeks and you`ll be out in a boat.

Was out on a small lake trout fishing yesterday, 8" in most places some with 6, lost about an inch yesterday on the surface and 20 degrees here the next 2 days. Likely be open on the shoreline. North bay area where I was

I was on a small sheltered lake yesterday and the ice was pretty good at 14inches. No current and well covered by trees.

I saw some guys on Pimisi lake today, you wouldn't catch me anywhere near current right now.

The Ottawa river is completely open near Mattawa