Hey Fly Fishermen!

Lip-ripper

A few years back I inherited my grandfathers Fly gear. I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing, but have practiced casting and feel ready to give it a try. I took a bunch of pictures of the gear I have and need a couple things from you.

First off, from what you see, what species should I target with it? I realize that with fly-fishing, you need specific rods and line weights depending on what you fish for. I think he fished mainly specks, rainbows and possibly bass as well.

What do you think?

Second, I realize it's older gear. Is it obsolete? If I really want to give this a go, should I get more modern gear?

If so, what should be replaced other than the line?

Thanks in advance!

2012-03-12194537.jpg

2012-03-12194635.jpg

2012-03-12194319.jpg

2012-03-12194348.jpg

2012-03-12194943.jpg

2012-03-12195004.jpg

2012-03-12195031.jpg

2012-03-12194935.jpg

You definitely don't need modern gear to flyfish... I would guess that's a 6-7wt... Should have no problem tossing a few of those poppers for bass.

If you are after small resident stream trout you'll want something a bit lighter (4wt for example)

As per the label on your rod it's an 81/2' 6-7wt.

A good all around rod for both trout and bass.

You won't be able to use the lines or the leaders, they'll likely be pooched after all these years.

You may be able to rejuvenate the lines a bit by removing them from the reels, stretching them to attempt to remove the memory and cleaning them thoroughly with armour all.

The first reel is kind of neat...it's an automatic fly reel. More of a novelty item than anything else.

They were mildly popular with the masses when they first came out but never really caught on for obvious reasons.

I love the ole automatics.But yes the springs break pretty easily. A 6/7 is a nice beginner combo as it allows you to do most things adequately. For trout it will be nice for chucking streamers. Might be a good time to get it out down at the river mouths with some egg sucking leech patterns. You will definitely need new leaders and tippet though.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

It's actually the same reel in both pics, I just took a picture of both sides of it. Same with the rod.

As for line, does that mean I should buy 6 or 7 weight line for it? Does colour matter?

My mistake. The backplate of that reel sure looks like an automatic, but it isn't.

It's a standard single action reel.

There is still a lot of fishing action that can be done with that outfit. Especially if you are new to fly fishing. The answers you have already received have been good.

The dry flies in the 7th photo are "still-water flies", they lay on the surface of the water. They imitate "spent" mayflies after they have laid their eggs. The trick is to cast them out and let them sit or barely move them.

The other flies are wet flies, a couple of streamers and floating bugs.

The leaders are probably still ok because they look unused. Give the tippets (thin part) a tug to see if they are still at around their rated strength.

The line looks like it is nice and clean. Since it is yellow, it's almost certainly a full floating double taper. Floating fly lines are most often very light in colour.

The reel is very nice and will work very well with that outfit.

The rod is a fiberglass rod and you will find that the action is just slow enough to easily learn how to fly cast.

If you really enjoy fly fishing, you can buy more modern, lighter, faster fly fishing equipment later. For now, you can consider that you have a nice gift that dates back to the mid 70's. It would have even been a perfect beginner's (serious beginner) in those days.

Yes....it's for trout, bass and even walleye and panfish.

The leaders are probably still ok because they look unused. Give the tippets (thin part) a tug to see if they are still at around their rated strength.

Anything that old from the early to mid seventies is worth keeping as a keepsake, but will have long since lost it's strength.

The rod is a fiberglass rod and you will find that the action is just slow enough to easily learn how to fly cast.

It's graphite.

Anything that old from the early to mid seventies is worth keeping as a keepsake, but will have long since lost it's strength.

It's graphite.

Then the outfit dates from the early to mid 80's.

Judging by the fly selection he was after everything, I'm not sure about the quality of the reel but it may need to be replaced, definitely replace the line and tippets. With that weight you should be able to take on anything, just not the really strong things like salmon or musky. Also be sure to carefully check the rod for any defects (hairline cracks, thread unspooling, etc...) if you find any you may want to reconsider using it for the same things, you could probably still use it for small trout and panfish if you find any defects, just be careful with it.

P.S. If you have to replace anything instead of trashing it you may want to look up it's value online, some of that stuff is pretty collectible.

Edited by Richmond Hill fisher