Ice Report

Hookset

Hi

I've seen afew posts lately asking when the ice will be out in lakes around Ontario.

Thought I would add what I know. The ice on Lake Muskoka is 90% gone as of this morning. Yesterday

there was still coverage across most of the Lake but as of this a.m. she's long gone. Hopefully Lakes in Algonquin etc. are

no more than afew days behind. All that is left for ice in Muskoka is strictly patches here and there in back bays.

Soft water season is finally here !!!! Woo Hoo.

Hookset.

Most.years.the.ice.leaves.Lake.Muskoka.around.this.time.but.in.1992.it.was.there.until.April.30...I.know.cause.we.built.our.boathouse.on.the.ice.then.

sorry.no.space.bar!

LOL...Thanks for explaining the space bar thing.... although next time do that at the beginning. It was taking me forever to read...you know....pausing after each period. :lol:

Hey Hookset...

I am heading to Lake of Bays this weekend..ten mile bay area off Ronson rd....any idea if there is still ice on the bay?? Bringin the boat..hopin for some lakers...buddies of mine got a bunch through the ice this winter in the same area?

Anyone ever fish here after ice out??

Brkygetr

I was down checking out my dock yesterday and the lagoon where we park our boats was free of ice but the lake (Pigeon, north end) was still covered with dirty grey looking ice except along the shoreline where there was about 20 feet of open water...will be heading out shortly to pick up the mail at the boxes (near the lake) and will take my camera with me...

Hey brkygetr,

Not sure about Lake of Bays. I used to live on that Lake and most of the Muskoka lakes seemed to freeze and thaw at almost exactly the same time. With the warm weather coming this weekend I would bet that the only ice you might find would be ice accumulated by wind and blown into back bays. I'm sure you will find fishable waters. The locals (old boys) favorite technique at this time of year was a large shiner beneath a slip-float. Sounds kinda relaxing on a sunny spring day. "Wake me when my bobber dissappears boys."

Hookset.

Hookset...right on thanks for the info..I was basically just gonna drift around in the sun with the rod on the gunnel of the boat dragging my big 'emerald shiner' around so I'd say the concept is the same. Pure sun and a good drift!!! I can't wait!

Brkygetr

Edited by brkygetr

The ice was still in Tates Bay today but out further...no where to go...looks like the Back Channel may be clogged up...

I heard from another OFNer in town this morning that two guys in a bass boat were spotted casting the shoreline of Nogies Bay with spinnerbaits...

Ummm...you're a bit early guys...the lake is not open for fishing until the 28th April

Edited by Beans

Open water as far as the eye can see today...

'Bout time to finish readying the "Tin" and sorting some tackle...

Eight days 'til opening of the Kawarthas...bring it on !!!

Edited by Beans