Spinning rods for trout

Live2fish85

Hey All.

Just wondering what rods you guys suggest for tossing spinners and other small baits for trout in the rivers?

Action, length, all the important things even if you have specific make and that.

I will be pairing it with a Pflueger Supreme either the MGX or the XT. I haven't decided yet.

Thanks

Well I am going for what ever trout will hit but but for the most part I am thinking the smaller ones I have a Wild River with a citica for the bigger ones so a light combo.

Again I am going to pair it with the Supreme and I am going to use the XT. I like my Pflueger way more then Shimano for spinning reels.

For smaller trout/brookies I like my St.Croix 6'6" Premier light power, fast action spinning rod paired with a Daiwa Whisker 700.

Or use a Fenwick Eagle GT 5'6" UL if the casting is restricted due to thick brush.

For the bigger trout/steelhead, I prefer my St.Croix 8'6" Avid medium power, fast action spinning rod paired with a Daiwa Whisker 1300.

There is nothing like almost getting the rod ripped out of your hand by those silver bullets :D

I have 2 rods, a 5 foot ultra light and a 7 foot light action rod. Originally the 7 footer was for streams that are not as over grown, but now I use it in all but the nastiest places because the extra length is really useful when I'm just dunking a spinner in the middle of a log jam.

I have been fishing for close to 60 years for brook trout. I hate all of those short wimpy ultra light rods. They do not have the backbone for larger brookies over 12 inches long and they do not have the speed to set the hook. You don't want a soft rod for sticking a hook into a trout. Especially a trout that is 6 to 18 inches long.

Those cute short rods are just that.....cute. You need a longer rod for more distance when casting. Since the rod should have very fast action, you need the extra length for casting distance. There are lots of decent trout rods. Even the 7 foot Daiwa Spinmatic ultra light that costs next to nothing is a decent rod.

I use 2 to 4 lb mono and I fish for brook trout at least 3 times per week. The original 6 1/2 foot Lightning rod was one of the best I have ever used for brook trout. Anyway, there are lots of nice fast action rods other than those ultra light noodles that clutter the rod stands in many fishing stores.

I guess you could also point the rod at the fish if you decide to buy a wimpy rod.

You really should check out one of those 'Ultra Light noodles' They've got a lot more backbone then they used to have :) Nice soft tip but some balls in the bottom end if you need it... Can't beat them for humping into tiny trout streams as well...

I use a 7' loomis Imx 4-8 lb by far one of my all time favorite rods , i use it for perch , bass trout crappie just an awesome stick for bigger trout I use an str 1141s Imx its a 9'6" ultra light 4-8 lb this rod is my all time favorite