Life jackets.

nautifish

Okay i have a question.....Does anyone know where i can buy a good life jacket for the new pup and what exactly should i look for. I plan on taking the new grl out fishing in the boat with us but she is tiny only weighs 6lbs so i would not dare take her out with out wearing one.....Because of her small size i am wondering where i would be able to buy one that is suitable for her.....

Thankyou so much.

Nauti. ;)

Any of the BIG pet stores (PetSmart, Petcetera etc) have them. The smaller ones are better since all the jackets have the lift handles. I was told that if you try to lift a large dog out by this, it will break it's ribs. Little ones are ok....I had one for my shepard just in case.....

Sherriff

I thought I saw pet life jackets at my local Walmart! Not really sure what sizes are available or if they would be small enough. Another thing would be to call up the manufacturers of these special life jackets and see where the closest distributors would be to you.

Yeah i know rick....No way would i take her out on extremely hot days anyway being as she is so small....I was told i also need to get her a vestjacket for the colder weather while she is outdoors as they feel the cold .

I bought one for our pup last year off ebay. He's a lab and is a great swimmer, but I wouldn't chance not having one on him on a body of water like the Bay of Quinte. The price of the one I got from ebay was outstanding, far better than anything I had found up here. I think I paid $15 or something for it, up here I couldn't find anything decent for a large dog for under $40.

Hi Nauti!

I purchased a lifevest for my American Cocker Spaniel for $25.00 from Petcetera.

When I have been on here long enough I will post a picture of "Charlie" in his vest, sitting with me in the boat!

Tight Lines!

Charlie B)

6 pound dog....a couple of good old red and white bobbers, one tied to tail one to collar.

Cheap and stylish. :rolleyes:

Are you encouraging her to use 'live bait' for muskies? :dunno:

Should have just gone with a Newfoundlander then you don't have to worry about a life jacket. My dog has been known to swim across the lake, bother some cows then swim home. The guy who owns the cows doesn't find it as funny as I do. Our biggest problem is keeping her on a leash long enough to let her play but short enough to stop her from reaching the end of the dock because she instinctively rescues the kids which kind of takes the fun out of jumping off the dock if everytime you do it the dog swims out and pulls you to shore. She's trained well enough now to leave our kids alone because she recognizes their "fun' yells but it can be a hassle when they have friends over and Jughead doesn't recognize the voices.

Either way, during cottage season she averages about 6 hours a day in the water, a good deal of it poised in about 1 1/2 feet of water motionless then lunging for fish. So far she has been skinked.

Edited by jughead

Jughead i love the neuffies also....But will not get another dog ow till princess is no longer with us...

Allways wanted one but said i would wait till the kids were grown and gone......

I will be doing some shopping this weekend and see what i can find out there for her....again thanx so much all.

Nauti ;)

We picked up one of those Scooby-Doo life jackets for our Airdale (Avatar). It took her a while to get used to it, as she would just stand there stiff as a post, and not move. After a while, she took it all in stride, although she didn't like it. She may not like it, but those dogs weren't ment for swimming. Great to hear your considering the safety of your pet Naughti. Just like us humans, unexpected things can happen out on the water.