14 utility what motor

beertech

I've read this "max it out" theory many times on here. I have a Lund Pro Sport that is rated for 90 hp, but I have a 60 on it. It gives me great hole shot, 38 mph (depending on which prop I use), and trolls down to next to nothing. Not to mention the fuel savings. So tell what I'm missing by not having a 90 hp? I'm really looking forward to the answer.

It's basically for cruising speed.The 90 doesn't need to use as much HP to cruise at 38mph,less fuel.where the 60 is wot.

Also since you are putting more toque to the water the higher the boat will ride.Less friction better fuel.

Engines that don't work as hard usually last longer.

My boat is rated for a 40, and I have a 40 on it. I would love to put a 60 on it, because I've been in a few situations where I could have used the extra ponies. Like running from a storm with a fully loaded boat. I can get it up on plane in rough water, but she's working hard. The 60 would have we with a little extra jam just in case I needed it. You can never go wrong with more power.

A 20 horse will burn quite a bit less gas than a 25. For the extra 5hp, I'd just get the 20. Tha'ts more than enough power for that boat, and waterbody.

S.

I have a 9.9 4stroke merc as a kicker motor on my big boat. I find once warm it is hard to start. friend has same motor and same problem. I am thinking 4 stroke 20 as im asuming it will troll better than a two stroke.

My boat is rated for a 40, and I have a 40 on it. I would love to put a 60 on it, because I've been in a few situations where I could have used the extra ponies. Like running from a storm with a fully loaded boat. I can get it up on plane in rough water, but she's working hard. The 60 would have we with a little extra jam just in case I needed it. You can never go wrong with more power.

A 20 horse will burn quite a bit less gas than a 25. For the extra 5hp, I'd just get the 20. Tha'ts more than enough power for that boat, and waterbody.

S.

hey everyone just an update. I found a 25hp merc 2stroke. do you think it will be too much when i try to troll with it

I have a 9.9 4stroke merc as a kicker motor on my big boat. I find once warm it is hard to start. friend has same motor and same problem. I am thinking 4 stroke 20 as im asuming it will troll better than a two stroke.

hey everyone just an update. I found a 25hp merc 2stroke. do you think it will be too much when i try to troll with it

I have a 2010 legend 16ft prosport with a 30 2-stroke Merc on it.. It trolls FAST!! There is no way I could get it down to walleye trolling speeds.. The 25 and 30 2-strokes are pretty much the same engine so I can only assume the same.

My advise is (depending on your budget) since your going to be by yourself "most" of the time your best bet is the 20 4 stroke.. A 15 will do with 1, but will be underpowered with 2 or more..although it will troll nice.. A 25 will rock with 2 ( my 30 on the 16ft does 50km/h and hull weight is over 500lbs)... But it will troll fast.. So a 20 should be the good compromise.. As far as trolling, a 55lb electric trolling motor is a very, very wise purchase.. Trolling speed with that is anywhere from barely moving in a headwind, to matching the trolling speed on the gas engine.. And it's quiet!!

The 25 should troll fine if the idol is set up right on the carb, I fish in my cousins 14 foot princecraft with a 25 merc and it trolls slow enough for spring salmon in owen sound. A four stroke will troll faster then a 2 stroke in most cases.