Sault St Marie question about limits

superdad

I watched a Canadian Sportfishing show and he was at the Soo for their July Kiwanis Derby and each boat was allowed five fish and they brought in some really nice fish.

I was checking the Regs for 2011 and for 2012 and read that in Zone 9, Walleye limit was 2 for an 'S' licence and in Zone 10, the limit was four with only one over 18.1 inches for an 'S' licence.

Can anyone explain what was going on there?

Really wondering, even Italo referred me to the derby web site.

David aka Superdad

I watched a Canadian Sportfishing show and he was at the Soo for their July Kiwanis Derby and each boat was allowed five fish and they brought in some really nice fish.

I was checking the Regs for 2011 and for 2012 and read that in Zone 9, Walleye limit was 2 for an 'S' licence and in Zone 10, the limit was four with only one over 18.1 inches for an 'S' licence.

Can anyone explain what was going on there?

Really wondering, even Italo referred me to the derby web site.

David aka Superdad

The way I read your reply is your allowed 4 fish with one being over 18.1 in. for two people you would be allowed to catch 8 fish total,but the derby only allowed a catch of 5 fish per boat,so you would be under the total allowed.Or am I reading it wrong?

Edited by gaspumper

Hi Superdad, I fished that tournament and it was on the St. Mary's river system. We were allowed to fish from the locks in the Soo to lake Huron. I am unsure what zone that is but I know St Mary's river is considered apart of the great lakes and I think it is open all year for walleye like lake Erie but I'm not 100% sure. There is no slot size on the river and the limit is 5 or 6 walleyes per angler but for the tournament we were only allowed 5 walleyes per boat ( 2 fisherman in each boat) and a minimum of 15 in because we were allowed to fish the USA side of the river and that's there regulations. Where Italo was fishing was on the Canadian side of lake George. I will find out the regs for you.

As far as I know, there aren't any zones in Ontario with a sport limit of walleye over 4 anymore.

St. Marys River - from the gates

of the Compensating Works

downstream to longitude 83°45’W.

which extends from Eagle Point

(Hay Bay) south to the international

boundary with the United States.

Two lines may be used when trolling

from a boat in open water.

Walleye open from Jan. 1 - last day in

Feb. & May 15 - Dec. 31.

Walleye S - 4 and C -2, any size.

Northern pike - any size.

In Zone 13 you can possess 6 fish on a sport licence.