Fly Fishing Setup Help / Advice

Eric

Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone could spare some time and knowledge on setting up a fly fishing combo. I spent a few days reading things on-line to get somewhat familiar with fly fishing, never knew there was so much to it :)

Being new to fly fishing I'm not looking for an expensive outfit but at the same time not to cheap.

From what I read so far the rod + reel + line all have to be set for the same weight.

Being from Windsor I was thinking of fishing out of the boat for (Bass, Pike, Musky and whatever else hits my fly in St Clair). Then try my luck for steelhead when I'm not float fishing.

So I was looking at the following on the Cabelas website:

Reel: Pflueger Trion Fly Reel 1978 (3-1/2", 6.6, 100 yds/20, lb. 8 )

Rod: St. Croix Rio Santo Fly Rod RS908.2 (9', 8, 2, B, 4.3 )

both these items got great reviews, but I am open to any suggestion on a rod and reel.

Now the part that really gets me confused is the fly line.

Since I will be fishing anywhere from 4ft-14ft on the lake I was thinking of getting a WF sinking line.

Now my questions are:

1) I was looking at (Cortland 333+ WF Sinking Fly Line) now do I put all the line on or just what I need. It does not even say how much line there is in the pack or spool.

2) Does it matter what type of backing I use?

3) Does the backing also have to match the rod / reel line weight requirement?

4) I'm assuming I also need to use a leader?

could anyone suggest a backing and fly line to use for the rod and reel mentioned about

I would really appreciate any help and advice you could give :)

Thank you

Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone could spare some time and knowledge on setting up a fly fishing combo. I spent a few days reading things on-line to get somewhat familiar with fly fishing, never knew there was so much to it :)

Being new to fly fishing I'm not looking for an expensive outfit but at the same time not to cheap.

From what I read so far the rod + reel + line all have to be set for the same weight.

Being from Windsor I was thinking of fishing out of the boat for (Bass, Pike, Musky and whatever else hits my fly in St Clair). Then try my luck for steelhead when I'm not float fishing.

both these items got great reviews, but I am open to any suggestion on a rod and reel.

Since I will be fishing anywhere from 4ft-14ft on the lake I was thinking of getting a WF sinking line.

Now my questions are:

1) I was looking at (Cortland 333+ WF Sinking Fly Line) now do I put all the line on or just what I need. It does not even say how much line there is in the pack or spool.

could anyone suggest a backing and fly line to use for the rod and reel mentioned about

Thank you

I would buy DT floating. With DT you can take it off the reel and rewind the other end first and get twice the use. Then I would buy a sink tip leader for those times you want to be deeper.

The backing wt. does matter as you'll likley be into the backing often. The store should help you select the appropriate weight backing. You will definitely be using leaders, sized appropriately for your quarry. Good luck in your search.

Edited by doubleheader

All due respect to doubleheader, but a DT fly line has very little use beyond extreme finesse fishing with tiny flies.

The rod you're looking at has a relatively fast taper and will load better with a line that is 1/2 to 1 size larger than what's on the sticker.

I would recommend a full floating line in WF taper. The WF taper will allow you to cast the larger flies you'll likely be throwing with an 8wt rod.

RIO Grand fly line is sized 1/2 size heavier than what's on the label so a WF8F in that brand would do you fine.

As far as getting down goes you can EASILY reach depths of 14' by using a variety of sinking leaders.

RIO makes an excellent one called a "versileader". It has a tiny welded loop on the end as does the main fly line, so they're attached via a loop to loop connection.

Very slick and the tips are easily interchangeable.

Yes you would need a short length of tippet on the end of the versileader, usually 2-4' no more than that and usually 8-10lb Maxima Ultragreen or something similar.

You DO NOT the fancy knotless tapered leaders unless you're fishing tiny dries. In that case the tapered leader would be attached directly to the end of your fly line.

This system, full floating line with a variety of sinking leaders in different lengths and sink rates, is very versatile.

It allows you to cover a broad range of water depths and eliminates the need for a spare spool and second line.

Regarding backing, no it doesn't have to match your rod.

Most guys will use 120-150yds of 20-30lb braided dacron backing. Totally depends on the reels capacity. The info on the specific reel you're looking at will tell what its capacity is. You won't have to think too hard LOL!

Edited by solopaddler

Solopaddler, you may be right in your determination of WF vs DT. Years ago their wasn't much difference in the taper of these lines other than you could reverse the DT and get twice the use. I would say, however, that DT has applications beyond extreme finesse fishing. Windsor, there is a lot of free on line information I would encourage you to do your research, not that Solopaddler's advice is incorrect, in fact I totally agree with everything he's recommended, but because doing your research will bring you up the learning curve more quickly. I will say this, most would suggest you learn to cast with a 5-6 weight rod, and I would suggest you consider taking casting instruction. Once you learn the fundamentals of casting the entire experience will be much more rewarding.

I am in agreement with Solo on this, there have been many advancements in fly lines and a Weight forward line is definitely the way to go. Based on what he is planning to pursue (Bass, Pike, and Musky) we are talking big wind resistant flies which do not require much finesse.

As for floating vs. sinking, its probably best to have a floating line and use sinking leaders as suggested it gives you that versatility. If you can afford an extra spool or set up obviously a sinking line would be valuable.

In terms of the rod, I have a st.croix rio switch rod that I just absolutely love. One other suggestion since you are new it would be best to visit a fly shop to have your reel loaded with the fly line and backing.

Solo's advise is great, WF lines are easier to learn how to cast. Current lines are hard to wear out especially if taken care of.

To answer one of your questions above, yes you use the entire fly line. On average fly lines are about 90 feet long and have a profile as below:

trout-lt-fw.jpg

Check out some videos on-line to give you an idea about fly casting as it is different from bait or spin casting in that the line carries the lure (fly) rather than the lure carrying the line.

You should be in for some great top water action on Lake St Clair.

"From what I read so far the rod + reel + line all have to be set for the same weight."

as a good base point that is true, but often times you will over gun the rod with line and reel...a larger reel will never hurt you, more backing, larger arbour, faster pickup, less lien memory...and a larger, aka heavier, reel will balance out entry level rods that are not ultra light blanks

"I was thinking of fishing out of the boat for (Bass, Pike, Musky and whatever else hits my fly in St Clair)."

fly fishing is like golf, you can't drive 300 yds with a sand wedge and casting large musky flies really does require an outfit suited for that...steelhead river rods have different requirements than punching a fly line from a boat, river rods are longer to help mend the lind and cushion light line presentions...bass, pike, muksy aren't line shy, shorter stiffer rod to punch big flies in the mind

look for a moderate action, it will help you feel the rod load and is more forgiving for a beginner caster

rod - echo, tfo, st croix, amundson all have good rods that won't break the bank

line - expensive but look at a rio versa-tip, will cover all the bases for you....otherwise go with a WF and some sink tips

reel - amundson, pflueger, okuma - all decent and affordable....if you're a budget, spend more on line and rod

if you're shopping online be careful of getting dinged with brokerage or duty...try to buy in canada

www.flymart.ca

guy's name is Scott, good prices and more importanly cusotmer service

if you're shopping online be careful of getting dinged with brokerage or duty...try to buy in canada

www.flymart.ca

guy's name is Scott, good prices and more importanly cusotmer service

That's good advice - Scott's a top fella.

I know it's a trek from Windsor but you might want to think about this event

http://new.iwffc.ca/iwffc/index.php

Lots of good stuff for beginners and more the more experienced alike.

Hi guys

Now my questions are:

Thank you

If it's for bass and pike, you need a size 9 or even size 10 outfit because you will be casting large flies that are either heavy or wind resistant. I would even say that if you want to do a lot of fishing for pike, you could even look at size 11 or 12 combo. In any event, you will be disappointed in a size 8 outfit when you try to cast large bushy flies....especially if there is a bit of wind.

Buy a good rod and a decent line. There are lots of good reels and get one with a large arbor made for size 9 or size 10 line.

For backing, I like 40 lb test braid. To fill the reel, start by putting on the fly line and then add backing until the reel is full. Then, with a drill and an empty spool, remove the lines from the reel and refill the reel starting with the backing.

With a double taper line, I make 2 set ups. One with a short head and the rest is oval monofilament shooting line. Monofilament shooting line lets me cast further.The other end of the double taper is used with smaller flies or floating bugs. With a backing of shooting line, you can shorten the length of the fly line because all you really need is the length of line that you are casting. The rest is just large backing. The problem with all this is that you will need some experience before you can figure out exactly how you want to set up your fly line. Too bad that there are no fly fishing shops in your area because most of them offer a few free casting lessons and have the experience to customize your set up.

Do a bit of internet search on fly fishing. Some things to look for are how to tie the backing to the line, how to tie the leader to the line. I use a nail knot for both connections. Do not buy any of those flexible leaders that fit over the end of your fly line. My buddy has a fly fishing shop and he swears by them but almost every time I go to see him at his shop, there are guys who come in with stories of how the leader came loose from the end of their fly lines and they lost a salmon. Use the nail knot.

Since you will be fishing for pike and bass, buy a floating line. Use big floating bugs. When you use a big streamer or tandem streamer, the streamer does not have to be very deep to catch these fish. If you ever want a sinking tip, you can add a short length of lead core line to the end of your fishing line.

What I do is make a nail knot on the end of my fly line with 20 to 30 lb test mono. I then tie a perfection loop real close to the end of the fly line. If I want to add a leader or lead core line, I just use another perfection loop and I loop the 2 loops together.

Leaders do not have to be long when fishing for bass or pike with big flies. 3 feet is all you need. Buy leader material or fluorocarbon leader material in 10 to 15 lb test (depending on the size of the fly) and add the leader using a perfection loop. I prefer using a mono leader because a perfection loop in fluorocarbon is a very weak knot. It will break at 50% or less the rated strength of the fluorocarbon. I would even say to stick with mono leader material....it's more consistent.

If you are tossing really big stuff you might want to look into a 'Pike' taper as well. Dave Orr suggested this to me if I was tossing big streamers.

I am no means as experienced as some of the guys that gave their piece here but I went this route( pike taper). Same as you I was going to swing big flies and this was a good fly line to learn from and it does the job for bass flies as well. I love it.

Yes I pretty much agree with solo's advice. Stick with the WF line or even a pike or bass taper, a moderate action rod which will make casting so much easier to pick up for a beginner.

As a second back up set up if you can I would suggest you go intermediate. 30lb backing is more than sufficient but as you go along you will start to figure out what you prefer and what you don't.

We can start you out here but you need to just get out there and figure out what really works for you specific application. Good luck and enjoy, it's a whole different world out there.

PS learn these knots in no specific order: perfection loop, nail knot, arbour, albright.

Thank you everyone for all the advice and tips. I cannot wait to get started :) and report on how many tree branches I catch. I will definitely try to buy Canadian next time I am up near some tackle shops that carry fly fishing gear.

Once again just wanted to thank everyone for there input.