Guiding Requirments

anders

I agree with Bondy 100%; if you advertize cheap, you’re going to get cheap clients; it’s like that in all service industries. I use to run specials here at the shop; I don’t anymore. 90% of the people that took advantage of the special were a one time customer that disappeared after the special was over.

You couldn’t up sell free air to these people; they were just looking for the cheapest price and then complain, no matter how hard you tried to satisfy them.

Yes I understand that automotive isn’t guiding; one is a necessity the other is recreation but they’re both service oriented.

Charge a competitive price and you’ll get better quality/less thrifty people and if you’re any good at your job, they’ll see the value in your services.

What I would suggest as a start up promotion for something like this; would be some form of rebate system; no fish, client only pays the operating costs or something along those lines?

Dan.

Whatever the market will give up...If they can get it, more power to them. I have too much competition around here.

Anders Jonn is giveing you great advise .. I charge competitively for a guy with a boat etc. like mine , I did not last 30 years by being CHEAP , nor do I over charge . After you add up , GAS , LOST TACKLE , INSURENCE , LICENCES , CHUCK NORIS HOOK SETS THE SMASH RODS ON TO FLY BRIDGE 200 $ + "IM SORRY" down the drain , HAD A GUY FALL OUT OF THE BOAT ON A TRIP "YOU NEED GOOD INSURENCE" , and I have a family that expects me to MAKE A LIVEING . I ALLWAYS try to give a trip that I WOULD PAY FOR .. I never price myself SHORT , if I did WHY WOULD people go out on my boat , for a cheap ride ???? or a good competitively priced safe time . I win customers NOT BY BEING CHEAP , but by doing what they PAID for and doing it well .... Listen to JONN he is doing well in one of the most competitive fisheres in the province ..

Anders Jonn is giveing you great advise .. I charge competitively for a guy with a boat etc. like mine , I did not last 30 years by being CHEAP , nor do I over charge . After you add up , GAS , LOST TACKLE , INSURENCE , LICENCES , CHUCK NORIS HOOK SETS THE SMASH RODS ON TO FLY BRIDGE 200 $ + "IM SORRY" down the drain , HAD A GUY FALL OUT OF THE BOAT ON A TRIP "YOU NEED GOOD INSURENCE" , and I have a family that expects me to MAKE A LIVEING . I ALLWAYS try to give a trip that I WOULD PAY FOR .. I never price myself SHORT , if I did WHY WOULD people go out on my boat , for a cheap ride ???? or a good competitively priced safe time . I win customers NOT BY BEING CHEAP , but by doing what they PAID for and doing it well .... Listen to JONN he is doing well in one of the most competitive fisheres in the province ..

Well said Bruce.

Hey Guys;

From a consumers perspective, you do your research, check out the reputation, and go with what you can afford. Years ago I went out with a guide that put me on to a trophy pike. I wanted to go out with his brother who I had seen on Izumi, but since he had been on the show he doubled his price. I've been out with quite a few guides over the years, and the guys who just did it for a few extra bucks, advertised by word of mouth only were always great at an affordable price. I was looking at going out on the ice with someone on Quinte this year but from what I can see now with all costs included I would be looking at $1000 for a week-end and in this economy very few of us can do that. I'm not saying that you don't desrve to make a living if that's what you choose to do, but be realistic about what your competiton will do, and respect their choice.