MNR got back about my sauger

mike rousseau

i phoned the MNR last week to report a sauger that i had caught in an area where they were thought to be extinct since 1968...

i wasnt sure if this was information that was important or not... i guess it was

i just got off the phone with the MNR and the woman i talked to has never had a report of a sauger in this area... and she used to actually do the netting surveys herself...

she kinda didnt believe me that it was a sauger... so i emailed her a picture along with any information i had about the catch...

hopefully the information provided will help someone and their research...

either way it was nice to hear back from them...

heres the pick again if you missed it in the report...

19 inches

201ce8ae.jpg

It's hard to believe that there wouldn't be any saugers at all out your way. There's tons here and it's a straight 50 mile run. But stranger things have been seen. Most waters linked to the St Lawrence hold sauger and St Francis IS the St Lawrence. Strange.

It's hard to believe that there wouldn't be any saugers at all out your way. There's tons here and it's a straight 50 mile run. But stranger things have been seen. Most waters linked to the St Lawrence hold sauger and St Francis IS the St Lawrence. Strange.

thats what i was thinking...

but after i caught him... i did some research...

sauger are more light sensitive then walleye... so they prefer deeper and or darker water... if im not mistaken roy... your area of the larry has some dirty water due to the ottawa river dumping in...

our tribs to the larry are more like creeks... very small and not enough volume of water to color the surrounding gin clear waters... unless we get crazy amounts of rain for extended periods of time...