Ice Fishing Boot Upgrade

Homer Is King

I have tried several different types of cleats on my ice fishing boots. The all fell off, slide around, or didn't really work. So I grabbed a box of #8 - 1/4" self tapping metal screws with hex heads. I then screwed a bunch of them into the soles of my boots.

DSC_7121.jpg

DSC_7122.jpg

DSC_7124.jpg

DSC_7126.jpg

I've had them out twice now and I'm very impressed! They grab the ice great. They don't feel funny under the boot. I'd recommend it!

its a good upgrade to say the least...i wish you wouldnt have posted it on the internet though....part of "my" fun of trout opener ....is watching people slip in the river...i bet a buddy last year there would be three we would see....i won!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Twocoda

I use the exact same screws on my Simms G4 Guide boots.. A lot cheaper them the Simms studs!

Ah yes the $50 a box Simms studs - must be made of unobtainium or something :), I use sheet metal screws on my wading boots too.

I also bought a set of HT cleats from Canadian Tire for ice fishing, only one use so far but I'm impressed, they grip well and didn't move all day, only issue was the velcro toe strap was too long - easy fixed with scissors.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/WadersFishingApparel/PRD~0780863P/HT+Enterprises+Super+Stud+Sandal+Cleats%2C+black.jsp?locale=en

I need theme on my wading Simms boots.

I think they grip better in the river as the aluminum is softer then Stainless.

Only thing they'll do is wear out faster. I run the 1/2in sheet metal screws in my Simms G4 Guide boots and they work perfectly.

Only thing they'll do is wear out faster. I run the 1/2in sheet metal screws in my Simms G4 Guide boots and they work perfectly.

Good to know.. Thanks Bill!

Do sheet metal ones rust?

Edited by steelheader09

those studs probably work great. i have these boots http://www.overshoe.com/Pages/Product.aspx?category=STABILicers%C2%AE&cat=HLS-OVERSHOE&pid=N5P3S and they have almost the exact studs. these boots are awesome, i love them. you wear your running shoe in them, they are light feels like you are just wearing your shoes, 100percent waterproof and they are warm. great for driving to the lake through your boots on fish all day then go back to the truck and not have to change your boots. highly recommended!