Just for the record!

bassassin

Several months back I posed a question as to whether or not i can find a lakefront property for appx. 100k?

It turns out after a year of searching I purchased 2 acres of lakefront property with 290' of shoreline on Shawanaga lake. What i'm trying to say is perseverance pays of! I went above my budget by a whopping 10k LOL! the lake is 9km long and pretty beautiful i must say.

Has any one fished this lake? its right above Lorimer lake just north of parry sound, off of hwy 124. Now the fun begins, i have to figure out how to put in a driveway clear the lot and build a cottage on a budget of 5k. This hurdle may prove to be impossible to clear! LOL...

Last I heard it was fished out and why land was cheap! :sarcasm:

The real question will be can you build on it, etc?

I bought 26 acres and 4000 feet of shoreline for not much more.. but the fight to build isn't worth the lost sleep.

Shawanaga is supposed to have Lake Herring in it.... and looks like Pike as well.

Go here and type the lake in search and start reading.

http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_online/fishing/fishingExplorer_en.html

Edited by irishfield

the only issue with building lies in the docking, must use a floating dock other than that im good to build when i can afford to !

Apparently you can only have a trailer on the site for no more than 30 days.

I figure i'll be able to afford to build on it just in time for my kids to be too old to want to hang out with their old man. :(

I bought 26 acres and 4000 feet of shoreline for not much more.. but the fight to build isn't worth the lost sleep.

Shawanaga is supposed to have Lake Herring in it.... and looks like Pike as well.

lake herring

large mouth

small mouth

lake sucker :sarcasm:

pike

and it was stocked with walleye which apparently didnt take, but i plan to find them...

Although I suspect.. with the "no trailer for more than 30 days" Bull.. that their planning act says no "accessory" buildings prior to a main dwelling/residence. As long as you've done nothing to be under planning control they can't stop you from building less than 10 square metres... as it doesn't fall under the building act, as long as there is no plumbing inside said structure. Outhouse and camp kitchen under a tent awning.

lake herring

large mouth

small mouth

lake sucker :sarcasm:

pike

and it was stocked with walleye which apparently didnt take, but i plan to find them...

i plan on building a 10' x 10' bunkie to start off!!

Heres a local guys catches on the lake my lot is on:

http://www.ontarioanglerawards.com/Entry/Details.cfm?EntryID=28640

http://www.ontarioanglerawards.com/Entry/Details.cfm?EntryID=30369

Several months back I posed a question as to whether or not i can find a lakefront property for appx. 100k?

It turns out after a year of searching I purchased 2 acres of lakefront property with 290' of shoreline on Shawanaga lake. What i'm trying to say is perseverance pays of! I went above my budget by a whopping 10k LOL! the lake is 9km long and pretty beautiful i must say.

Has any one fished this lake? its right above Lorimer lake just north of parry sound, off of hwy 124. Now the fun begins, i have to figure out how to put in a driveway clear the lot and build a cottage on a budget of 5k. This hurdle may prove to be impossible to clear! LOL...

Send me a Pm and i'll show you my web site , i might just be able to keep you with in your budjet or at least for some of it

Edited by Skipper " D "

.oh and as for the trailer. Get your inspection for septic system.. install it first if you know where the cottage will go. Make a level pad for the trailer so you can easily park it and just have it drain it into the septic. Leave it there three weeks at a time and then tow it home for the following week. Then bring it back... or just tow it up each weekend.

That's an awesome website

Sweet! Never fished Shawanaga but I snowmobiled the hell out of it. I have fished Lorimer Lake for many years and the fishing is still very good there and very restricted as there is a Tim Hortons camp on it. Many years ago we did stop in MNR office in Parry Sound and reviewed the local marine biologists reports on Lorimer, I am sure they would have similar info for Shawanaga and I'd say it is worth the stop.

Regardless, this is a beautiful place with lots of peace & quiet and not loaded with houseboats and jet skis, you will enjoy!

ps. nice lakers in Lormier in the winter

What my brother (Bassassin) didn't mention is that he already recruitted his older brother as cheap slave labour to clear his lot by hand. We chipped him and bought him a chainsaw for his bday (which was the same week he took possession of the lot. But he told me that I will have to use a hatchet and that he wants to keep his chainsaw in mint condition. He also mentioned that he can't wait to watch me try to bring down some of the larger trees with the hatchet, while he sips down a couple of brown pops.

And if I survive that, he will let me drop a line from shore using a stick and line (but no hook). Ahhh family.

I have a place over on Lorimer but I have heard some good things about Shawanaga,I'm going to try to get over there this summer and

chuck a spinnerbait around .Congrats on your new lot , it will bring you and your family good times for years to come :thumbsup_anim:

I have a place over on Lorimer but I have heard some good things about Shawanaga,I'm going to try to get over there this summer and

chuck a spinnerbait around .Congrats on your new lot , it will bring you and your family good times for years to come :thumbsup_anim:

Lorimer is beautiful too! cant wait to start playing around up there.

PM me your email address and I can send you a lake summary in PDF that was done in 2003, here is what it says regarding the species and stocking history:

Game Fish Species: Walleye (1979), Smallmouth Bass (1998), Lake Trout (1983), Northern

Pike (1998), Yellow Perch (1983), Largemouth Bass (1998)

Other species present: Cisco (1983), White Sucker (1998), Rock Bass (1998), Pumpkinseed

(1998), Iowa Darter, Johnny Darter, Brown Bullhead (1961)

Exotic Species:

Stocking Record:

1979 Northern Pike 131 adults

1959 Walleye 1,215 fingerling

1959 Walleye 955 fingerling

1958 Walleye 50 fingerling

1956 Walleye 600,000 eyed eggs

1954 Walleye 1,000,000 eggs

1954 Lake Trout 1,500 yearlings.

1953 Walleye 1,000,000 eggs

1952 Walleye 1,000,000 eggs

1951 Walleye 300,000 eggs