metal lipped lures

tomO

you're still fishing with a boat load of line (leadcore) out, 100+' behind the boat. Making sharp turns to follow contours of structure is impossible. but it works great if you're just driving in a straight line.

i've lures that are pretty much a 2:1 line out/depth ratio. ie. 40' line out, 20' deep on wire.

Lead core, wire, riggers, Great Lake Boards, inline boards, Dipsy Divers, Jets....you name it I have used it to present baits while trolling.....but in this case on this particular spot I want to LONG LINE it because it's not very deep where the walleyes stack up in gin clear water and I want the lure far away from the boat....I know this ridge like the back of my hand and know just where I want to make my turn so the Hot 'N Tot runs over that ridge while by boat NEVER did....sometimes it the little things like this that make all the difference in the fishing world... :)

I do between 80-120 feet back on 10lb braid...

And speed may be an issue... I usually run 2-3mph against a 2-5mph current so water speed is 3-8 mph on the lure...

The area I am fishing also has heavy current...it's the head of the Niagara River....can't say more then that without spilling the beans on my little hot spot....1.5 to 2.3 is my speeds in that area without any winds....but that area can get nasty with any winds blowing down Lake Erie....and that my friend in walleye time... :whistling:

Never caught a fish on a metal lipped lure... Don't know why... I've tried then on prime spots without any results...

The X-Hawg I caught my musky on when I was fishing with you has a metal lip. Granted I was using it as a jerkbait, not trolling it. Funny, earlier in the year I almost lost that lure when it got caught on a log about 10' down while trolling. I had to use my paddle to get it unstuck, could just barely reach it after several tries. I'm glad now I didn't just give up and cut my line.

The X-Hawg I caught my musky on when I was fishing with you has a metal lip. Granted I was using it as a jerkbait, not trolling it. Funny, earlier in the year I almost lost that lure when it got caught on a log about 10' down while trolling. I had to use my paddle to get it unstuck, could just barely reach it after several tries. I'm glad now I didn't just give up and cut my line.

Key there is that you caught the fish... And I'm pretty sure that's the only one in my boat ever on a metal lip bait...

I know they work... Just not for me...

OH, they dive that deep....I use the smaller ones long lining at the head of the Niagara River where Erie dumps in....I always scrape bottom on 15-17' ridge that I target for walleyes.....not sure about the larger Hot 'N Tots but they have to go deeper....we only used them off the boards in deep open waters (80'+) for suspend walleyes.

I used to fish the western basin of Lake Erie with my dad and brother for walleye, Hot n Tots and Wiggle Warts were all we used. 8-10# with just a snap, the metal bills on the Hot n Tots could break loose from the plastic and water would get in the lure killing the action.

The old red label wiggle warts turned into a hot bass lure for me.

Key there is that you caught the fish... And I'm pretty sure that's the only one in my boat ever on a metal lip bait...

I know they work... Just not for me...

Weird. I've never even thought about what the lip was made of. But of course before last year when all I fished for was LM bass I hated using lures of any kind and rarely gave them a chance.