Rod Protection

Gregoire

I broke a bass rod this year when a gust of strong wind blew my little 14' aluminum and I lost my balence and stepped off the seat......right onto my rod. I've got a much wider/more stable 16' now so hopefully it won't happen again, but I have 2 slots on each side of the boat where I can put rods. The pvc tubes vertically would be a good idea but I don't want rods vertically on my boat while musky fishing as they get in the way if I need to walk around the boat at all.

The boat came with 9' downrigging rods so I can fit up to 9' rods there. Good thing cause I want to buy a 9' St. Croix big nasty, and it can't fit in my truck (8' rod just barely fits across the bed of my truck).

The boat came with 9' downrigging rods so I can fit up to 9' rods there. Good thing cause I want to buy a 9' St. Croix big nasty, and it can't fit in my truck (8' rod just barely fits across the bed of my truck).

Dang, my ranger only has a 6ft box.Still trying to figure out how to transport 7 footers whistling.gif

No problem when i am towing the boat. Only when i am fishing with some else, without my boat.

I see 2 piece rods in my future.whistling.gif

Dang, my ranger only has a 6ft box.Still trying to figure out how to transport 7 footers whistling.gif

No problem when i am towing the boat. Only when i am fishing with some else, without my boat.

I see 2 piece rods in my future.whistling.gif

You bring your boat up here one day Paul and i'll show you how to fit those seven footers in that six foot box .

the box is longer corner to opposing corner.

Correct me if i am wrong , Acording to geometery in order for it to work corner to corner the box would have to be farly wide , Pauls storage box might be to narrow for that trick . Sorry but i just had to get that off the brain .

Correct me if i am wrong , Acording to geometery in order for it to work corner to corner the box would have to be farly wide , Pauls storage box might be to narrow for that trick . Sorry but i just had to get that off the brain .

Perhaps, tough to know without a picture...

I had assumed by "box", he was referring to the bed of his truck???

Maybe I'm wrong???

But if he was referring to the back of his truck, its probably about 75" long and around 60" wide. If that was the case, he could fit a rod corner to corner of about 90" or so

Edited by manitoubass2

Haha, yeah I only have a 6' box as well. Corner to corner can barely fit my 8' rod and I can easily fit 7'6" rods in there. Paul you should have no problem with 7' rods. I don't like having anything heavy in my bed (that sounds bad) when I have my rods in their, though (means the tackle box is in the backseat of the truck) 'cause I'm afraid of it sliding around and breaking my rods.

Get yourself a pvc tube of appropriate diameter and length. You can also get a cap for each end. Put the rods in there and lay them in the box with the handles against the cab and the tip end leaning on the closed tailgate. Now bungie the suckers in there. They won't move at they'll be safe. Later I'll find a pic of how I keep them on the boat.

And Paul, without having to take the rods out to test what will fit, if you know the length and width of the box, just add the square of the width to the square of the length and take the square root of the answer. Example truck box is 7' long ..squared is 49. Width is 4'...squared is 16. 49 + 16= 65 The square root of 65 is 8.06225774829855. So the hypotenuse or the distance from one corner of the box to the diagonally oposite corner is 8.06225774829855 in other words, an 8' rod will fit in there.

And Paul, without having to take the rods out to test what will fit, if you know the length and width of the box, just add the square of the width to the square of the length and take the square root of the answer. Example truck box is 7' long ..squared is 49. Width is 4'...squared is 16. 49 + 16= 65 The square root of 65 is 8.06225774829855. So the hypotenuse or the distance from one corner of the box to the diagonally oposite corner is 8.06225774829855 in other words, an 8' rod will fit in there.

I was thinking this afternoon there had to be a formula to figure that out and who did i know and could call to ask and looky here , i should have known , way ta go Roy .

I was gonna say sumfin, but i don't even understand was i was thinking about thinking before i thought about it, so i won't.blink.gifstretcher.gif

It's called the pythagarean theorem. Sounds confusing, but simple. 3 squared + 4 squared = 5 Thanx Roy