Ice and Fish report

tapout

Started out my day at 5:30 am on Sunday. Stopped and fuelled up and was on my way. Made it to the 400 bait shop and asked to buy a license. They didn't have any. Things weren't looking too good. Decided to press on and check with Dave's Fish Huts when I got there. They didn't sell them. Oh oh not looking good at all. One guy there told me to go to Chappelle's in Sutton. Its no longer called Chappelle's. Anyway they had them...whewww. I had an it to scratch so back to Virginia Beach. Headed out from there on very smooth ice, ice cleats definitely needed unless you want to make moves like figure skaters all day. The ice was about about a consistent 5-6 inches. Unbelievably someone was driving a station wagon type car back and forth from Georgina Island.

The ice was behaving in a way I'd never seen before. At least 75% of the holes I drilled would cause a crack to run through the ice for 100ft or more either side of the hole and would make all accompanying ice cracking noises and VERY loud. Who says ice fishing can't get the adrenaline running.

As for the fishing, it was a hard fought day. Managed to ice about 40 in about 5 hours. There were no big schools to be found. The perch seemed to be spread out. After getting about 4 or 5 from one spot the action died off. Move again and get another 4 or 5 and move on. Seemed to be the order of the day. They bit aggressively but had to be enticed to do so. I kept 27, all over 11 inches. A couple were over 13 inches. Very few dinks.

After deciding I had enough I headed for shore. After trekking for almost an hour to get back to shore I was glad I was persistent in finding a license earlier in the day because for the first time in my life I got checked by the MNR CO's. Terry was his name and he was a very polite guy. The guy just before me probably didn't think so as he had 6 perch and NO license. I heard someone mutter something like his fine was $500. Remember its not worth fishing without one.

I hope to get in a few more trips and reports before this winter that wasn't is over. If the weather this week doesn't ruin what ice is there I might give'r a go again this weekend if anyone wants to join me.

Take care all and be safe out there!!!

Tony.

nice to see people getting out fishing

the island people flood the ice road at night if he was running across on the it could have many more inches of ice then all the ice around it

This guy must have crossed 4 or 5 times I saw and 2 or 3 of them he wasn't anywhere near where they put the ice road. He even stopped by some guys fishing and got out.

Started out my day at 5:30 am on Sunday. Stopped and fuelled up and was on my way. Made it to the 400 bait shop and asked to buy a license. They didn't have any. Things weren't looking too good. Decided to press on and check with Dave's Fish Huts when I got there. They didn't sell them. Oh oh not looking good at all. One guy there told me to go to Chappelle's in Sutton. Its no longer called Chappelle's. Anyway they had them...whewww. I had an it to scratch so back to Virginia Beach. Headed out from there on very smooth ice, ice cleats definitely needed unless you want to make moves like figure skaters all day. The ice was about about a consistent 5-6 inches. Unbelievably someone was driving a station wagon type car back and forth from Georgina Island.

The ice was behaving in a way I'd never seen before. At least 75% of the holes I drilled would cause a crack to run through the ice for 100ft or more either side of the hole and would make all accompanying ice cracking noises and VERY loud. Who says ice fishing can't get the adrenaline running.

As for the fishing, it was a hard fought day. Managed to ice about 40 in about 5 hours. There were no big schools to be found. The perch seemed to be spread out. After getting about 4 or 5 from one spot the action died off. Move again and get another 4 or 5 and move on. Seemed to be the order of the day. They bit aggressively but had to be enticed to do so. I kept 27, all over 11 inches. A couple were over 13 inches. Very few dinks.

After deciding I had enough I headed for shore. After trekking for almost an hour to get back to shore I was glad I was persistent in finding a license earlier in the day because for the first time in my life I got checked by the MNR CO's. Terry was his name and he was a very polite guy. The guy just before me probably didn't think so as he had 6 perch and NO license. I heard someone mutter something like his fine was $500. Remember its not worth fishing without one.

I hope to get in a few more trips and reports before this winter that wasn't is over. If the weather this week doesn't ruin what ice is there I might give'r a go again this weekend if anyone wants to join me.

Take care all and be safe out there!!!

Tony.