Hds-7 or 8

bucktail

Screen size, if your using more than one feature (downscan, gps, structure scan), I find the 7 small after using it for the season

Gen 2 are out already I believe, I'm grabbing one, the structure scan being overlayed on the map looks awesome, easier to interpret too. If your buying an 8 and lss I believe the rebates will be 300, which is pretty good

Edited by danbob

Is it worth waiting to get the Gen2?

Unless you are using structurescan, I think the Gen1 is the better choice at this point. Gen2 is noticeably faster but the Gen1 with the lastest update isn't as slow as it once was.

Depends on your upgrade plans too; maybe get a Gen1 for now, and move it to the bow when ready for a Gen2 for the main unit.

The big feature with Gen2 is the structuremap, at least so far. With the faster processor etc there may be more in store for this model down the road. But its like anything with new technology.

Gen2's are out in the US right now.

If I had to choose I would go for the 8, more screen real estate and access to quick buttons would be really nice. Split screen doesn't give a lot of room

I have 2 HDS-8 gen1 units with no complaints, love'em! Love the hot keys to, otherwise you have to go thru the menu items each time in order to adjust colorline, sensitivity, frequency etc.

Had Joc from Angling Outfitters out to speak at our Straitline Anglers club back on January 3rd and he gave us his professional take on the new gen2 units. I would recommend giving him a call to get his thoughts 519-935-5494. I think they're a little "gimmicky", if you want to spend the money on a new unit take a look at the Simrads, 20% fast and brighter.

Cheers G.

if you want to spend the money on a new unit take a look at the Simrads, 20% fast and brighter.

Cheers G.

Yes and since they are also Navico, they look to work with structurescan and other Lowrance devices. They are up there in price but the cool factor is 100%. They most likely have similar hardware as the Gen2's, but with better screen resolution and a touchscreen. Not sure how nice the touchscreen would be on the water though

Simrad NSS

Edited by scugog

Gman just checked out that Simrad unit, pretty sweet. I really want the structure map as I do 2 big trips every year where there are no maps available.

Have to find out if a discounted second Sirrius subscription can be one for the Unit.

I measured y dash and the * will just fit on my swivel mount