Another Sportspal Thread

Weeds

Howdy. I figured I'd change things up a bit for 2012 so I swapped my 12foot tin boat for what I thought was a 12 foot square ended (not full transom) sportspal. After doing a few measurements I'm pleased to discover that it's actually a 14 footer(I think)in really good shape. I've lined up an older 2hp Johnson that I can get for a good price and was wondering if anyone had a similar set up? Good combo? I imagine the 2 hp would provide enough juice as I do the majority of my fishing alone but wondering if I should hold out for a 3hp? Any idea on top speed with the 2? I'm attempting to simplify things this year, minimal tackle and just 2 rod.I realize it's not a speedboat.

Also, anyone ever add/install webbed seats? I'm not a big fan of the foam seats they come with. Had them in my old 12 foot pointed sportspal(canoe is actually closer to 10)and can't say I really liked them. I'd also kind of like to add a yoke to it, figure it would make carrying it easier, although it's doable over the shoulder. Thanks.

Really looking forward to spring, I can think of dozens of rivers, bays and ponds I'm dying to get into, places I could never have got into with my aluminum boat. Cheers

I have a 12 footer with a 2hp Honda at the back. Unfortunately it doesn't get much use anymore since I have a big boat now, but it's great!

Top speed depends on how loaded it is and seating arrangements. With 2 people and some luggage I can get about 7MPH, if it's just me and I sit forward (as far forward as I can, not on the bench, and really stretch back to steer), and put the 5l gas container in the very front to get the nose down, I can get to 10-11MPH on flat water.

Mine has the webbed seats, I have no experience with the foam ones. I also bought a yoke for it, if yours doesn't have one - get one, you will not regret it.