First ice fishing outing of the season

OutdoorDan

I was originally planning to go for some back lake splake or lakers, but changed my mind at the last minute and decided to go for some crappie. Good decision! My dad and I landed about ~15 each.

The lake we were on had about 3" of black ice with a couple of inches of white ice on top. Be careful, especially if you are going to hit up the larger lakes.

Got a few nice ones:

img0431bl.jpg

How does one diff if the ice is safe enough as you said be careful..from my old man ive been told 6' is usually wat you want and that some folk fish 4' mellow.gif

Unfortunately the best answer is that it depends. If you don't have too much experience better to wait until you know people are getting out in good numbers. 4" of solid black ice is plenty but the problem is ice can be inconsistent and the current weather is not helping. As Sinclair said quality of the ice is important... 8" + can easily be unsafe if it's honeycombed in the spring...

I was doing the same thing last night. Lots of bluegills while the sun was high, then once dusk rolled around the crappie started going good until after dark. Lots of fun!

Yep, in this case was getting dink perch until it all turned around at sundown.

Oh man,no back ground. LOL

Nice fish.Great eats.

Background bad!