Winter tire help!

super dave

Is anyone here a tire expert? I just bought some used winter tires that were mounted on steel rims. It was a great deal for winters, used one season so I took it. My car is a 09 toyota highlander and the bolt pattern is 114.3 and tire size is 245.65r/17, so I bought the same in the winters. After installing them, I noticed that there is a bit of rubbing on the back tires. I wasn’t aware of the offset. Could this be the problem? I just thought that the bolt pattern has to match. Is there anything I could do to fix it or do I have to mount the winters on my stock rims and ditch the steelies? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Yup, like Raf said get some spacers for the rear to push those rims out a bit.. Do you know the offset of the steelies? Compare that with the offset of your stock rims and that should tell you the size of the spacer you need...

Thanks for the spacer advice. I’ll have to make some calls to see who sells them in Toronto. I know Toyota doesn’t because they probably want people to buy their rims.

How do I measure the offset?

Thanks again. I really do appreciate it! Haven’t been able to drive the car since I put them on! I just bought this car a couple of weeks ago so I’m dying to back behind the wheel.

What is it rubbing against? The Caliper?

Edited by super dave

Do yourself and everyone that loves you a favour and get yourself a used set of steelies. They will cost you about the same as a reasonably safe set of spacers.

There are many reasons not to run spacers like not losing hub concentricity, compromising stud strength, adding unsprung weight, and not risking an accident.

Do yourself and everyone that loves you a favour and get yourself a used set of steelies. They will cost you about the same as a reasonably safe set of spacers.

There are many reasons not to run spacers like not losing hub concentricity, compromising stud strength, adding unsprung weight, and not risking an accident.

Hey luke. I was thinking the same thing and just decided to remount the winters on my stock rims for this year at least. I'll look for a good set for next winter.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Really appreciate it. You don't learn just about fishing on this board!!

Smart move Dave. Enjoy the snow!

Nothing better than to have a vehicle with winter tires that can get you where you want to go, and nothing worse that getting stuck behind some guy who was too lazy or too cheap to install winter tires and you have to plod along behind him because he can't go anywhere.

Definitely get the correct rims for the application, 'Universal' fit involves the use of shims etc.... The vehicle was not designed for use with anything that is 'universal' and your rubber is the only thing connecting you to the road so don't skimp out.