cordless drill augers

Spouph

I have seen guys drilling hole with the drills. I does not look like a bad option. Has anyone used one of these style augers...if so :

what volt drill works best

how many holes on a single battery

is there limitations to how thick the ice you can drill

Im concerned that if you break through ice ang your chuck let go do you loose your auger to the depths (has this ever happened)

where can I find them what are the called name and make kind of thing

how much

and if any one has anything good or bad to say. I am and have been using a sweedbore 6" I have loved this style for years but as I get older and the kids get older and the grandparents get older the number of hole I drill when company come to vist is getting higher, and the ice is only getting thicker. I think i am starting to get old, I think I just admitted that the sweed bore outlasted my body....crap thanks god for motrin.

I had an adaptor made up a couple years ago for my 6" manual auger. We used it on my buddy's 18V Craftsman drill. We rigged a bucket lid to the auger to keep it from falling through the hole if the chuck let go.

Did a great job to start, up to about 10 or 12 inches of ice, it seemed we could drill all day with two battery packs, fast as well. Though it was tough on the drill itself (think bearings). Once the ice got thicker, up to 22" that year, it became basically useless. We would be lucky to get two holes drilled per battery.

I bought a power auger last year and never bothered with the cordless again except for pre-drilling the anchors for my hut.

That being said, I know one guy with a smaller 5" auger on a professional grade (think $600 or so) Dewalt that makes Swiss cheese of the ice all winter long.

Edited by Jer

Just bought an adapter at walmart to try this year. They're about 10 bucks and fit all existing Normark augers.

have seen a couple different articles with varying results as to battery life and how many holes you can drill on a battery etc.

Consenus is your drill pretty much needs to be professional quality in order to get any number of holes and take the abuse. At least 18V (I would recommend a 1/2" chuck as well) And you must use the drill on the lowest speed setting or damage to the drill (or you) may result...

I hit the button on my drill just to see how she would spin and the centrifical force of the auger spinning and coming to complete stop once the button was released can torque your wrist pretty good:) lol.

Soon as we get some decent ice im gonna try er out... The end of the adapter that enters the chuck on the drill has a flare on it, that when installed properly will sit in behind the teeth on the chuck to prevent the adapter sliding out when drilling. However theres still the possibillity of the drill slipping right out of your hands should the auger jam and lose everything down the hole so I think im going to attach a tether to the drill at least just in case.

Ill be using an 18V lithium ion milwalkee drill on my old 8" finbore III

If this thread is still around maybe ill post some pics but for now im pretty sure you could find some vids on youtube about the subject :)

Ill be using an 18V lithium ion milwalkee drill on my old 8" finbore III

I would think with an 8" auger, it might be bit much for the drill. An 8" hole has almost twice the surface area of a 6" hole.