Chemong Ice Conditions

Stoty

No where near 6" where I was on Sturgeon the other day and with all that rain and mild temperatures we had for two days...

I could see some open areas yesterday especially close to shore. Might be able to get out this weekend but we are still going to have to be very careful. I think I'd rather wait an extra week than do the polar bear plunge thing.

In talking to a few people that have been out on Chemong, I've heard anywhere from 6" to 8" where the ice has been established for awhile. There was still open water in places just a week ago, that ice is probably no more than 2".

We were gonna give it a go yesterday at one spot on Chemong, but the crusty and slushy surface kept us ashore.

Just off my shore on Buckhorn, I drilled through 6" on Saturday and I'm trying to establish an ice rink, keeping in mind that I'm located in a fairly sheltered & shallow bay that has an ice cover for at least three weeks now. Really cold temps forecasted the next two nights (<-20C) should build an inch or two. I better get shovelling and flooding.

I drove over the Causeway yesterday afternoon and saw a few folks fishing the west side of Chemong, south of the there but they were fairly close to shore. There's still open water at the east end of the Causeway on the north side.

I drove over the Causeway yesterday afternoon and saw a few folks fishing the west side of Chemong, south of the there but they were fairly close to shore. There's still open water at the east end of the Causeway on the north side.

Hey Lew, no worries about that open water. It generally stays open all winter at that spot under and just north of the bridge due to current flow.

Hey Lew, no worries about that open water. It generally stays open all winter at that spot under and just north of the bridge due to current flow.

Yup, I'm aware of that Jer, I was just putting it up for anyone heading there and not familiar with the area.

Finally got an ice-fishing fix today on Chemong, only 6 or 7 little perch between the two of us but it was nice to be out.

The ice where we were was 7" - 8" everywhere we drilled. Again this was ice that has been established for weeks, I'm sure there are lots of thinner spots out there.