opeechee lake lodge

kuhaman

A friend and I went about 4 years ago. I think the place is under new management/owners now, not that that will matter.

We were only there 3 days in mid-August, not the best walleye fishing time, and it took a couple days to figure out the lake. Caught 3 walleye total, 2 on the last night, after we figured out the lake. Caught a lot of nice sized perch and some half-decent bronze-backs.

It is actually 2 lakes combined, OPC and OPC boys, lots of water to fish. Depths vary greatly.

Trick seemed to be bottom bouncing live minnows in 10-14 fow near rock points and shoals just before and at dusk. Walleye were hard to find during the day, got 1, but it was a loner, no schools around. Needed quite a bit of weight to stay on bottom and needed to back troll to get the right presentation.

A lot of perch were caught back-trolling the weed lines in 6-8 fow with worm harnesses and power grubs. Also caught a bunch of small (1# or so) smallmouth in about 35 fow off an island. We were hoping for bigger from that spot, but it didn't materialize.

There are pike in the lakes, but we didn't hook into one.

Facilities are good, nice sand beach if you are going with family.

Depending on when you are going, there is a small river/stream that runs into the back part of OPC boys lake over a rock/rip-rap chute. The time of year we were at it was barely a trickle. In the spring/early summer I can see that place being a real hot spot for walleye, holding in the wash waiting for food to come down over, just needs some current. Good cover (some stumps) and rocks, weeds nearby there. Should have held fish, but we tried in vain all 3 days and nothing.

Thing with that lake seemed to be if the fish aren't there, move immediately as they won't be there at all. Once you find a pattern that works, it seemed to contniue to work.

All-in-all a good trip.

If you can somehow get a map of the lake I can let you know where we found fish via PM. Might narrow things down a bit. I know the owners gave out paper copies when we were there, maye they can fax/e-mail one.

Be nice to get the young-lad a nice walleye. Hope you have a great time.

I went last September. Due to death in the family I really didn't have a chance to fish before I left.

The owners were super nice, but I really found the whole place a big dump. It certainly is "aged". Boats were good though.

I have map I'll try and find and send ya

Edited by radar