VHS in Lake Simcoe??

TJQ

Thanks MM , I'll have a look at it , i don't know why but i could'nt get TJ'S link to work for me and perhapes every thing i needed to know was in there ???? , may be a problem on my end here , i 'll try this one . Thanks again .

Same problem , Adobe reader acting up , gona switch to my other computer .

I just read this from a local bait shop

"The OMNR is screwing with the bait supply once again. VHS disease has reportedly been found in Lake Simcoe, causing the OMNR to form a ring around Lake Simcoe, no bait in or out,Simcoe bait can only be used locally, not a problem, if you are living in and fishing Lake Simcoe,

What this means,, there is a small area, on South Central Ontario that is considered a Virus Free Zone,, of which Waterloo Region is apart of, this means that we will no longer be able to import Emerald Shiners ( Pinheads ) to our location,, that in itself is not so bad.

What is bad, is that the OMNR has given the bait harvesters a 2 week notice of this, now my supplier, has his ponds full of Emerald shiners that he can;t sell after Jan 1 2012 and of course it is not possible to fill his ponds with Local Creek bait, in that short notice."

After reading the link in this post this afternoon i'd have to agree with Roy and others . What ever needs to happen needs to happen and run its course . I would venture to ask for the fun of it , then maybe not ...... every one from this forum who fish's Lake Simcoe if they notice any thing peculiar with any or all of thier catch's this pass season . For my self who spent all my time on the lake and out of every thing i brought out of the lake , i only had one the hole season that showed any thing like the symptoms shown in the link . Kind of like who better to ask for a little peace of mind then the anglers who fish it every day .

Edited by Skipper " D "

VHS has been a concern with Simcoe for several years. About 4-6 years ago there was a massive die off of baitfish in particuler shiners it was the start of VHS rumours.

I cant say for shure wheather it was VHS or not.But It did catch our attension.!!

The one thing I dont understand is that in the regs.

I beleive it says that live bait is not to be transported outside or into the region your fishing in as well as bilge water. (No???)

40yrs ago when my Father started teaching me how to fish this was rule #1? What HAPPENED????

So my piont is that there are signs on the hyways warning people of the restricted area concerning the Asian Longhorn Beatle so why not signs warning uninformed anglers of invasive spieces or posible viral threats?? On hyways leading out of metropolitan areas?

This would promote knowladge of current threats to native ecologies as well as helping to raise awerenes to inexperianced anglers as well as those that dont fish but enjoy getting out of the urban setting.

Therfore spreading the concern throughout a whole community not just those involved in fishing.

Creating change and involvment in order to preserve a natural resorce.

So..

If YOU drive more than 20 minniuts to go fishing buy your live bait when you get to your fishing spot.(local bait store)

Most credible bait shops are open well before dawn and more than willing to reserve bait request along with customer service that extends well beyond posted hours of opperation.

This view is not based on science but. I would like to think that my DAD tought me properly