Fish Hut on Wheels?

DanD

Need your thoughts on whether this would be worth while trying and or has anyone seen one.

I can get my hands on a14 foot (possibly a 16’ I didn’t measure it?) hardtop crank-up tent trailer; what would it be like converted into a fish hut on wheels?

By converted I mean loose the slide-out bed areas front & rear and replace the canvas with some form of light weight solid walls. The walls would be hinged to the body of the trailer; with the roof cranked up, you’d swing the walls up from horizontal to vertical to meet the roof and then latched in place. Gut out all of the non-essentials (fridge being one), leaving whatever would be functional for a fish hut.

The thing is relatively low to the ground with its 12 or 13 inch balloon tires; so a 5 gallon pail with the bottom cut out should be more then enough to reach the ice.

It still has a functioning Coleman propane furnace that will work with or without the 12V battery operated fan; along with a three burner cook stove that can be used inside or outside of the trailer.

All I’m thinking is, it would be portable on the roads and on the ice and have the advantages of a seasonal wooden hut, as in being inside a solid shelter with your feet off the ice.

If need be I could fabricate some form of drive-on ski that could be lashed to the tires and frame of the trailer; that’s if I find it drags easier then rolls on snow covered ice.

I know I wouldn’t be out breaking new trails on some back lake with this thing; but neither would a wooden seasonal hut.

Your thoughts (pros and cons) before I possibly begin this project.

Dan.

Seen quite a few posts on other boards about converted trailers of all types and they seemed quite delighted with the outcome. Also saw a unit in front of Heidi's on 11S that looked like a standard trailer with retractable wheels that was kinda neat. I'd say your only limitation would be your skills and imagination, along with whatever you'd have to drag it around with. Go for comfort I say! But do you really need the crank up/down function? Easier to just build walls up from the box & leave them up?

Michael

Edited by cheaptackle

Yea I want to keep the roof functional as to make it more compact for towing down the road and keep everything sealed inside when the roof was locked down. If I were to build permanent walls they’d have to be much stronger (heavier) to withstand the 100klm winds of driving down the 401.

I’ve also seen the drop axle trailers and yea they’re pretty neat; but isn’t there a width restriction for axle; something light 8 feet? If so the wheels (being approx 2 feet wide combined) would take away from the floor width of the trailer. If the wheels were build in-board of the walls, they would have to retract into the useable space inside the hut. I guess they could be boxed in and sub for seats; but again taking up a lot a valuable room?

Thanks for the offer Skipper; but I think with my mig, tig, stick welders and plasma cutter, along with the rest of my shop’s equipment; I’ll be good to go, if I decide to attempt this. Tell you what though, if I do build it; there will be a standing invite to road/fish test it.

I’m just kicking this idea around and wanted to hear of any strong opinions as to why it wouldn’t be a functional portable fish hut?

Dan.