Double-header weekend

frozen-fire

One thing I learned while steelheading this fall is that in isolated pools and runs, there are fish of similar size that pair up and stay paired up.

When you catch one of them, there's a good chance that it's partner will get caught too. Does anyone else ever notice this? Maybe it's just coincidental... but it's happened on several occasions this fall.

And no, we're not fishing in spawning water.

Pair from Saturday:

Dec92011doubleheader1.jpg

Dec92011doubleheader2.jpg

We actually called this double-header. At first, I cast into this sweet looking run where the current slows down a bit and it gets a bit deeper. Float shoots down and I'm into a nice buck. Coloured up and lots of spunk. I tell MJL to keep fishing cause there has to be a decent hen in there with it. He casts, and drifts the same line and his float also shoots down...all while this fish I have on is thrashing about on the surface. Now we're both fighting these fish in the same hole...being very cautious not to let them tangle up. Eventually we both land them and I force MJL to keep both fish in the water while I fiddle with the timer on my camera. Keep in mind it's well below freezing LMAO! MJL sacrificed his hands for these photos :D

Pair from Sunday:

dec10doubleheader.jpg

We did some exploring and found a nice hole where we got into some fish the following morning. I made a cast along a seam and watched as my float drifted down. In awe, I watched as a small shaker sized chrome steelhead came up to the surface and completely swallowed my 4g Drennan Loafer float. I didn't really know what to do. It turned to head back down to the depths and it spat my float out. As my float came back up to the surface, it shot down... FAST. Set the hook and I was into a fish (not the fish that took the float). MJL drifted the same line again after I was fighting my fish, and his float similar to mine, rips down just as fast. We end up landing both fish successfully and that gives us the second double of the weekend :D

Edited by frozen-fire

Never realized they paired up like that so early in the season. I've only seen them pair up just before spawning. Then again, I've heard of bow's spawning VERY early in the spring like just after ice out in February. Very nice looking fish! Congrats.