Leader material.

Jigger

Its been awhile now since people started using different leader materials and I was just wondering what everyones favs are. What do you like/dislike about different materials. I bought a titanium leader...once. Thing cost me $15 or so. Couple that with a $15 bucktail snapping off on a bad backlash and I haven't bought another leader like it since. A friend lent me some homemade Fluoro leaders, #100 test, but I've yet to get a "ski or pike while using them. I've never had a problem with the steel leaders, but if the fluoro doesn't get too many negative comments, I'll buy some components to make my own. Thanks guys. Take it easy.

Jigger, I've been using 130 pound Seaguar fluoro for muskies for 3-4 years now and would never go back to the wire.

It's very fish friendly as it doesn't cut into them when they roll in the line, but what I like best is the fact that it doesn't kink when it twists. Wire leaders can be expensive when you need to keep replacing them. The fluoro can take alot of abuse before it needs to be replaced.

If you decide to make your own, be sure to buy good components to go with the fluoro. Myself, I like the Spro swivels and #5 Stringese snaps.

JR put me onto the fluoro leaders a few years ago and I never looked back.

Like Lew I pretty much switched to fluoro. Mainly use 130#.

The only exception being solid single strand wire (piano wire) for jerkbaits, particularly gliders.

Edited by Raf

Jigger,

80lb Triple Fish mono is plenty strong enough and stealthy for toothy critters and you can tie it directly to your hardware without having to use crimps. Takes only a few minutes to replace a damaged leader with a new one.....that I like....

Cheers !!

I'm 99% Floro.

Since I target local pike, I use 80#.

I make all my own leaders usually while watching T.V.

I can make 20 leaders in about 20 min.

Wire is too visible. It kinks easily. It can cut you and the fish. Expensive too.

You can get the basics for making your own at BPS. (they sell out of the 60-90# black crimps quickly)

Like Taper, Lew and Raf, bigger fish will mean heavier floro.

Edited by snog

I also, have been making my own Fluorocarbon leaders. I use 60LB(BPS) for all fish unless I am in Toothy Territory, then I switch to 130LB. I store them longest to shortest on a piece of "pool noodle". Use a Galvanized roofing nail for each end, poked into the noodle.And it floats!

Lew is right on the money when he says to use SPRO or at least something of comparable quality as the ends are your weakest link. I usually have a swivel on BOTH ends if throwing lures that tend to twist lines.

The smaller ones, I tie & super glue the knots for my own piece of mind & it also smooths the surface around the knot so you don't pick up as many weeds etc.

Have fun!

FT

So fluoro is the goods. I'll have to pick some up... Crimp, or tie and glue? The ones I have are tied and glued. We had two of us pulling on opposite ends as hard as we could and couldn't break it, is there a benefit to crimping the line, or is that a matter of personal preferance? I just figure that if your leader gets a knick and you need to re-tie, crimping might take a bit more time? Thanks again guys.