Report from the BVI....Total Defeat

bigcreekdad

Was in the British Virgin Islands a few weeks ago. Usually we go in April, and most fishing is done in a boston whaler offshore, with an occasional tarpon shot at night off the dock. However, we arrived to find scads of baitfish well inshore and tarpon feeding on then literally within yards of the beach.

I took on this challenge with my trusty 9 wgt fly rod, and a sinking line, which is great to cast into wind, and some streamer patterns I tied up.

Final score....Tarpon 10...Me 0. About half threw the hook on a jump, and half broke me off....usually on a jump as well. My last tarpon was on for 33 minutes. I hooked him within 10 yards of shore, and when broke me off he was likely 250 yards into my backing. What bruisers!!

I've fly rod tarpon fished before, and landed a few, but have never been this badly thrashed. You really need a boat to chase them, get them back on the fly line, and exert enough continuous pressure to get them too turn their heads....only way to tire them out. Obviously, beach fishing for them not the best way to go with a fly rod.

However......IT WAS A BLAST!!

Mont Gay Rum was good too.

Edited by bigcreekdad

Sounds like you had a good time regardless that's for sure. And that's what tarpon are famous for, jumping and spitting those hooks. Have you tried using those double fly\streamer hooks? Or just tie a streamer on a treble and cut one of the hooks off.

BTW, I was going to try that Mont Gay Rum last week. Not sure if it's the same stuff here as it was there though? But heard it is quite good regardless of where it's from. :) Good stuff.

BillM.....When fished for them in the Florida Keys I used 12 and 13 wgt rods. However, many of those fish are well over 100 pounds. I usually use the 9 wgt for bonita in the BVI, but have landed the occasional tarpon on them. The few I've landed were in the 40 pound range (I'm guessing). However the 10 I hooked were in the 50-75 pound range (again...I'm guessing).

The real key, in my opinion, is the boat. You have got to get them off the backing and on the fly line in order to pressure them to turn their heads. Once you get them fighting like this they will eventually tire, and your fight will be an ever reducing circle around the boat. Even with a 12 wgt, I think you'd have a tough time turning them from afar (ie after taking a big chunk of backing).

I really knew the odds were against me the whole time, but thought maybe I'd get lucky. Loads of fun though.

Also, I always use barbless hooks in salt water. If you can keep a tight line, you will seldom lose one. Also, there are a lot of toothy critters there that you don't want to handle for long....cuda, shark, and even big snapper.

You're right about poons throwing the hooks.. They're notorious for that.. Hooked 6 last time I was in Belize.. Didn't land a single one!!

Might have had something to do with the hooks though.. I fished hard with a guide last time I was in Honduras... He swears by the tiemco 600sp hooks. Most of his crab patterns were tied with them, including this gnarly rutter cutter that I still have. He says his hook up/spit ratio is way better.

cheers!

HD