Favorite Jig & Worm Combos

SGP

Fellow OFC bass anglers, I'm just wondering what your favorite jig & worm set-ups consist of.

So tell us about your "go-to" jig and worm outfit. If possible, please include all the specifics including rods, reels and lines.

I know there are many different set-ups for many different situations---however let's hear about the one combo that seems to work the best (or most consistently) for you.

Thanks in advance for your posts.

Edited by SGP

Daiwa t3 or shimano core paired with a dobyns dx 744 or a legend elite 7 mh. Before those I had a 6'8 cumura mh which was great. Sold it too another member. The new crucials are great for the price this year. Can't go wrong with them, warranty, im10 blank and alconite guides, best value imo

As for line, daiwa samurai braid hands down is the best. 55lb

Those work well for me

Dan

Edited by danbob

Daiwa t3 or shimano core paired with a dobyns dx 744 or a legend elite 7 mh. Before those I had a 6'8 cumura mh which was great. Sold it too another member. The new crucials are great for the price this year. Can't go wrong with them, warranty, im10 blank and alconite guides, best value imo

Those work well for me

Dan

Have you found a big difference going to a 7' rod over the 6'8"?

I was thinking of recently doing a post on the new Crucials. I had broken my 7'2" ex heavy flipping stick and replaced it under warranty with the new 2012 crucial 7'2" heavy flipppng stick and absolutly love it. The new guides, foam grip and real seat are very comfortable in my hands. The sesitivity is great. i use this for mainly jig and pigs. Im also using a GLoomis GL2 7'1" worm and jig rod for worms and small jigs. I have only used it a few timess but it feels great. Im not sure about the warranty on the Loomis rods but the Shimano warranty is great. I have both rods set up with Curados.

I was thinking of recently doing a post on the new Crucials. I had broken my 7'2" ex heavy flipping stick and replaced it under warranty with the new 2012 crucial 7'2" heavy flipppng stick and absolutly love it. The new guides, foam grip and real seat are very comfortable in my hands. The sesitivity is great. i use this for mainly jig and pigs. Im also using a GLoomis GL2 7'1" worm and jig rod for worms and small jigs. I have only used it a few timess but it feels great. Im not sure about the warranty on the Loomis rods but the Shimano warranty is great. I have both rods set up with Curados.

I've checked out the new Crucials and I agree...they do look and feel very nice for the price.

Edited by SGP

Id take the crucial over the gl2, better warranty and guides. They balance well with shimano reels. My brother fishes the older crucial, 6'6 mh and he uses it for everything (jigs, spinnerbaits, traps, xraps, senkos) He doesnt feel like spending money on multiple setups. And he seems to do really well no matter what technique it is. Most mh are very versatile.

My favorite? An old 70-80`s era Abu 507 on a 90`s era Falcon flipping stick M/H with a factory spinning reel handle. 7' 6" telescoping, with 17-20 pound mono. A six inch zoom u tail worm or 6 inch zoom lizard, either in junebug and weight to match water depth and cover conditions. A black and blue jig with pork to match.

Day or night, the reel casts 20 pound mono like 8# on a spinning reel, never any line twist, no professional over runs and no bail. It allowed me to keep the lure in the water and get fish in the boat. I could flip, pitch or cast lures down to 1/8 ounce on 20# line with no issues.

My favorite? An old 70-80`s era Abu 507 on a 90`s era Falcon flipping stick M/H with a factory spinning reel handle. 7' 6" telescoping, with 17-20 pound mono. A six inch zoom u tail worm or 6 inch zoom lizard, either in junebug and weight to match water depth and cover conditions. A black and blue jig with pork to match.

Day or night, the reel casts 20 pound mono like 8# on a spinning reel, never any line twist, no professional over runs and no bail. It allowed me to keep the lure in the water and get fish in the boat. I could flip, pitch or cast lures down to 1/8 ounce on 20# line with no issues.

Nice! Any current favorites?

I've checked out the new Crucials and I agree...they do look and feel very nice for the price!!! I'll be honest, I was a little concerned with the reel seat however I was told they hold very well (don't come loose) and don't have any exposed threads to get in the way. The Crucial reel seats also offer quite a bit of contact with the blank too (which is a very good thing in my books). I have a rod with the Fuji ACS reel seat and even though you have a bit less contact they feel pretty good to me too.

Is your GL2 the new series? If so, if you could only buy one, which one would be your choice? Both very comparable price points, warranties, etc.. I think the Crucials have nicer guides though (alconite vs. aluminum oxide) .

SGP, the gl2 is the new series that just came out this year. The nice guys at Gagnons in Oshawa let me take a gl2 on a broken crucial warranty because they didnt have the same length and action as the one I was replacing. ( yes, I broke 2 crucials this year ) Anyways, if I had to pick one rod , I would pick the 2012 crucial over the 2012 gl2. I was a bit sceptical about the foam grip and the split grip but have gotten used to it and like the feel. I like the cork grip of the gl2 but I like the guides and componants of the crucial. Its nice to have one of each. Both rods double as pike rods for throwing larger jerk baits. I love em both but I cuddle with the crucial at night time.......Um I mean, I like the crucial more.

Edited by msp

SGP, the gl2 is the new series that just came out this year. The nice guys at Gagnons in Oshawa let me take a gl2 on a broken crucial warranty because they didnt have the same length and action as the one I was replacing. ( yes, I broke 2 crucials this year ) Anyways, if I had to pick one rod , I would pick the 2012 crucial over the 2012 gl2. I was a bit sceptical about the foam grip and the split grip but have gotten used to it and like the feel. I like the cork grip of the gl2 but I like the guides and componants of the crucial. Its nice to have one of each. Both rods double as pike rods for throwing larger jerk baits. I love em both but I cuddle with the crucial at night time.......Um I mean, I like the crucial more.

Edited by SGP

I plan on trying both my 7'1H Fast NRX/Core50MG and 7'3MH Fast NRX/Core50MG7 with some worm fishing...But primarily they are going to be pitching rods...lighter jigs and plastics.

What lines are you planning to use?

Those work well for me

Dan

Your right about the Samurai braid, I love that stuff. Put it to the test over a month of frog fishing and it never let up.

As for the new Daiwa T3 how do you like it? I recently got hold of a Daiwa Zillion 8'MH "swimbait" rod and need a reel for it. This reel and the regular Zillion series I am considering trying out. I love my G.Loomis and Shimano reels but this rod was at no cost hardly so a good time to try what high end Daiwa has to offer.

Reviews on the reel?

Tightlines

MTBF

What lines are you planning to use?

Since they are pitching rod for me as a mainline I'll run 55lb Samurai or 50lb Power Pro braids. The 7'1H i'll use for the 1/2oz and under jigs and the 7'3MH for 3/8-1/4oz t rigged plastics like craws and rodents.

Anyway when I use the 7'3MH I'll just run a 15lb Fluorocarbon leader(Trilene 100%)...10" Power worm 8/0 Tro Kar wide gap and your off to the races lol...On the light side still the 15lb Fluoro but a 7" worm and well maybe a 4 or 5 wide gap

Nice! Any current favorites?

I am disabled so my fishing has been limited the last 7 years, plus I learned long ago the rod and reel usually have little to do with your ability to find and catch fish.

I have reels dating from the 70`s to more modern Citica`s and Older Green Curado`s. Same with rods, I never shopped by name, I shopped by feel or need. I have Diawa rods, Shimano, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Falcon, Ugly Sticks, just tools to me, use the right one for the job?

Spinning, Casting, Closed face, it didn`t matter much to me, and rod action, and feel made more of a difference than name brand or price. I have seen people blow up a 150-200 dollar rod on a hookset, I don`t need to be bothered with that. To me there is a limit to what quality can buy you, time on the water and learning from it is money well spent.

I am disabled so my fishing has been limited the last 7 years, plus I learned long ago the rod and reel usually have little to do with your ability to find and catch fish.

I have reels dating from the 70`s to more modern Citica`s and Older Green Curado`s. Same with rods, I never shopped by name, I shopped by feel or need. I have Diawa rods, Shimano, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Falcon, Ugly Sticks, just tools to me, use the right one for the job?

Spinning, Casting, Closed face, it didn`t matter much to me, and rod action, and feel made more of a difference than name brand or price. I have seen people blow up a 150-200 dollar rod on a hookset, I don`t need to be bothered with that. To me there is a limit to what quality can buy you, time on the water and learning from it is money well spent.

Agreed. You can't buy experience! Sorry to hear you're fishing has been limited.

All the best!

7'6" backwoods custom rod, heavy power, fast action. Quantum kinetic pt casting reel, 50lb spiderwire stealth braid, trokar flippin hook, tungsten weight, and a chigger craw, or jackall sasuteki craw

!

Edited by SGP