Targeting pike this time of year

JCRG

I've been out twice in the last couple of weeks, I've tried using spoons, spinner baits, jerk baits, swimbaits, jerk shad. I'm mostly fishing shallow areas/bays and around weeds. Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

I've been out twice in the last couple of weeks, I've tried using spoons, spinner baits, jerk baits, swimbaits, jerk shad. I'm mostly fishing shallow areas/bays and around weeds. Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

This late in the year think fishing deeper, 15-25ft (or even deeper) of water. Around weeds if you can find them, if not, rocks/reefs and hard bottom transitions. Alot of baits will work, but try to slow down the presentation.

If you fish bass, alot of pike will be in the same areas as the smallies

Edited by manitoubass2

fishing lakes or rivers?

I'd fish bigger and slower...spoon, cranks or spinner bait...swim a 6" grub

hard to beat a big chub/sucker/whatever baitfish below a float

still find them in and around the weeds in bays or falts, definitely look for the green weeds still but I'd start looking at deeper hard bottom structures and off shore, rock piles/points, humps and saddles, reefs...spend some time around any river mouths...look for transition structure between shallow and deep water, if the sun is out give up shallow a try during the heat of the day...I always love a windy day, fish current breaks that form in open water and the wind ward side of structure

Are you in a boat or shore fishing? River or lake? If you in a boat use large sucker minnows or large creek chubs on a jig head. 8 to 15 feet of water this time of the year.. find structure. Seems to work for me..Mind you im river fishin in a boat..

This particular spot is small lake with a couple of river mouths, i don't think it's very deep. I've had most success in the spring around the river mouths and around weeds later in the summer. I usually fish it from shore but I have taken to boat there before.

Thanks for all the information, I'm getting some good ideas of things to try

This particular spot is small lake with a couple of river mouths, i don't think it's very deep. I've had most success in the spring around the river mouths and around weeds later in the summer. I usually fish it from shore but I have taken to boat there before.

Thanks for all the information, I'm getting some good ideas of things to try

If you think the fish are there but not biting, try going to smaller and slower baits like 3-4 inch jig/grub, small x-raps, or even a carolina rigged minnow/worm. My biggest pike this year was caught last month on a 3 inch/1/4oz jig combo.

If you think the fish are there but not biting, try going to smaller and slower baits like 3-4 inch jig/grub, small x-raps, or even a carolina rigged minnow/worm. My biggest pike this year was caught last month on a 3 inch/1/4oz jig combo.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind