Question for Carpenters

Fishnwire

Say I took two 14 foot rough cut 2"x10"s and sister-ed them together using construction adhesive and half inch bolts. Now I have a 4"x10"...it's rough cut so that's the actual dimension. Then I put it on its side and notch it 3.5 inches in 7 spots each two feet apart, to accept 2x4s...how badly have I weakened them? Don't I still basically have at least as much strength as an un-notched 4"x6"?

-

The idea is to make two runners (skis) out of four 2"x10"s and by notching the tops, I can run 2"x4" floor joists perpendicular to the runners, but flush with them, so I can screw my flooring down on both. It'll be 5/8" (possible 3/4?) plywood, so that should help strengthen it up.

-

Just how bad an idea is this? Any help/input/criticism is appreciated.

Say I took two 14 foot rough cut 2"x10"s and sister-ed them together using construction adhesive and half inch bolts. Now I have a 4"x10"...it's rough cut so that's the actual dimension. Then I put it on its side and notch it 3.5 inches in 7 spots each two feet apart, to accept 2x4s...how badly have I weakened them? Don't I still basically have at least as much strength as an un-notched 4"x6"?

-

The idea is to make two runners (skis) out of four 2"x10"s and by notching the tops, I can run 2"x4" floor joists perpendicular to the runners, but flush with them, so I can screw my flooring down on both. It'll be 5/8" (possible 3/4?) plywood, so that should help strengthen it up.

-

Just how bad an idea is this? Any help/input/criticism is appreciated.

If I'm reading this right, you're going to have 2 fourteen foot long 4 x 10's when you're done gluing and bolting them together, notch out the top for 2x4 cross members to the support the floor. Ya, I don't think you have to worry too much unless the wood is balsa or the hut is an Abrams tank.

I would rip the 4" off the inside 2x10 (or use 2x6), and then sister it to the outside 2x10 so your 2x4 joists rest on top of it. Make sense? Thats how I did mine, and it works great. A lot easier, and just as effective as notching it.

S.

Yes either way would be good, but Sinkers method would be less labour.. I assume you thought of this because you don't want your skis on the outer edge of the hut. If everything including the plywood is glued and screwed it will be rock solid

Edited by GYPSY400

Yes either way would be good, but Sinkers method would be less labour.. I assume you thought of this because you don't want your skis on the outer edge of the hut. If everything including the plywood is glued and screwed it will be rock solid

That's right...the skis need to have an outside width of no more than about 53 inches so that it will clear the wheel wells on my trailer. It has a 3500lb capacity, if that's someone's next question.

I'll give it a try...the side opposite the notches is going to be laying flat across its entire surface at all times, so it's not like it's supporting a lot of weight directly.

Thanks.